Beginner Group

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

pistol ridge...that'll give you a more complete experience with hiking and bushwacking. There are lots of easy climbs there and they are relatively short. Commitment level is low so everyone can have a good time. Plus theres the creek right there an camping is in the immediate area. Any climbers that you come across are probably going to be psyked to see you. As it is a beginners crag you anyone you run across hasn't learned to be a condesending prick. Good luck and have fun!
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Be sure to get on Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon!
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

If you climb in Muir valley you MUST get permission from Rick and liz to guide a large group in Muir valley http://muirvalley.com
That being said, Do you have qualifications to manage a large group of inexperienced climbers? If so, do you have enough equipment? Insurance etc..... If you are not charging money that's one thing but either way you go you are making yourself liable for the safety of everyone involved. I am trained with 12 years of experience and that's a limb I would never climb out on. Do yourself a favor hire a guide. www.redriveroutdoors.com is your best bet. good rates, excellent guides.

We are not trying to bust your balls (well some of us are) Just looking out for you based on the info you gave us. Have fun, be safe.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

(PS--Joking.)
twan

Post by twan »

I'm not gonna hear about how a group of 10 people fell somewhere and got hurt am I? god, here we go.
..OH I like how that feels..
jordancolburn

Post by jordancolburn »

I agree that pistol ridge might be an ok place. Just make sure you know what you're doing. We ran into a guy there getting paid to lead a group of girlscouts, he didn't even have someone to belay him. We had to hang two ropes for the guy. Not really sure what he wouldve done if he didn't run into us. Basically, know what you're doing before comitting to take responsibility for someone else.
endercore

Post by endercore »

or top rope something at Indian Stair Case. They'll enjoy the hike, the view, and won't mind that the climbing is only 5.4. Plus no one else climbs there so you won't be taking up routes all day.
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

I've have climbed for about 5 years and while not being 'elite' by the RRG standards I'm not a complete slacker. So yes, in my opinion I am capable of taking a group to climb, plus I will have at least 1 other climber with me. It's been about 2 years since I've been out because I got to a point where I had to decided whether I was going to continue to use a whole day on the weekend to go climb or whether I was going to experience my oldest daughter as a toddler. I chose to put climbing on hold until she could go and enjoy the outdoors with us.

So the reason I was asking on here is because I haven't kept up with all of the new areas in the last couple years. And actually the size of the group will likely be about 6, which I've seen tons of time from the 'serious' climbers that just all happen to show up at the same crag (like they didn't talk at Miguel's or Shell before going).

I'm not trying to mess with anyone's fun or screw any of you guys over. I was hoping to get some good suggestions besides the obvious (Roadside and Left Flank).
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

From gfnp.com (the nice folks who now own Roadside)

"Groups of more than 4 people are discouraged. More than 8 are prohibited."

http://www.gfnp.org/Site/Welcome.html

The way it should be. There is not an official rule like this at Left Flank per se, but access if already very touchy there with regard to the USFS land managers. It's sad that climbing in the Red has gotten to this point, but the parking areas at these crags are becoming a hazard on weekends. It makes us look obtrusive, high-impact, and problematic as a user group, to say nothing of the experience of actually trying to climb at these overly popular crags on a weekend. If you really feel you must bring this many people to the crag at one time, please carpool, pack out all trash, and don't hog routes all day with endless epic toprope "Are you SURE you want to come down??" sessions. Thanks.
Wes

Post by Wes »

While group size is and should be a guideline, I have seen groups of 4 tie up several routes for a long time, and cause more impact then much larger groups. Same with the "we are really a group of 10, just several smaller groups that decided to climb at the same place" deal. So, just come as two groups of five, and you will fit right in.

Todd is one of the good guys, so no need for all the hate, I think climbing next to him and a group of 10 would be a better then climbing next to most of the smaller groups I have seen.

Will shoot you a PM, with a couple ideas....
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda