The 2nd Amendment isn't just for the right wing neocons...

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

I still fail to see why most people want to own a gun or want the right to own a gun.
surely there are more highly statistical ways to die than by an unknown intruder breaking into your house and killing you..

all the talk of 'defending self" seems a bit paranoid to me.

now, guns for recreational shooting..altogether different story imo....

but forgive caribe..he is just walking the party line, and he and I find it comical for different reasons.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Wes

Post by Wes »

pigsteak, There is truth to that for sure - doing the math says there are a lot of other things to worry about. But, there are also plenty of cases where it was a good thing to have. Kinda like martial arts - odds are good that you never really need it, but when you do, it is there. And there are side benefits as well, with the fun of shooting stuff being one. It also might depend on where you live - down here, there are more per capita *events* then some nice suburb in Lexington.

People that focus on guns as a first line of defense are as misguided as those that reject them outright, at least to me.

But, still, the Constitution says we can have them, and that cannot be taken away. Esp. when there are crazies like this out there:

http://www.repentamarillo.com/
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol....fair enough Wes. I grew up in the country where we left our our house unlocked and keys in the car. I still do not lock the house here in Lexington, which Karen finds crazy. I figure if they want it, take it, and live wiht yourself knowing how pathetic you are..

I could see shooting being fun though.
Wes

Post by Wes »

pigsteak wrote:lol....fair enough Wes. I grew up in the country where we left our our house unlocked and keys in the car. I still do not lock the house here in Lexington, which Karen finds crazy. I figure if they want it, take it, and live wiht yourself knowing how pathetic you are..

I could see shooting being fun though.
I don't often find myself agreeing with Joe, but I think a lot of climbers are a little bit oblivious to how quickly it can get dangerous around here, esp. out in the southern region. I generally feel pretty safe at the crag, but near or on some of the back roads is different for sure.

Next crappy day, let me know, and we can go blow stuff up, celebrate our rights, and piss off those sissy lefties! ;-)

Po, the kung fu panda
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

Wes wrote:michaelarmand, Of course you would. But, how do you explain banning Sunday alcohol sales, banning gay marriage, editing history and biology in textbooks by elected school board members? Those are religious people imposing their beliefs on others. Period.
None of those are constitutional issues. Ever since prohibition ended alcohol regulation was left to the people (states and counties) to decide. You live in the red and can vote - elect people that will fix the stupid laws.

Marriage is not civil right, if you support gay marriage then vote for it! CA just voted it down last year!

And give me a break about biology textbooks. Zealots on both sides try to rewrite science and history. Again it is your responsibility to elect sane people to your school board, it has nothing to do with the feds or the constitution.
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol...can we bring caribe along? you can teach us both how to properly handle a firearm.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Kip, for sure, if he will come. Guns are way safer then climbing, as there is no, well maybe very little, objective danger. As long as you follow the basic 4-5 rules, safer then walking down a flat sidewalk.

Po, the kung fu panda
Wes

Post by Wes »

michaelarmand, The main point of the 14th amendment is to prevent majorities in cities/states from passing laws or making policy that is protected by the bill of rights. Maybe you are just dense, but having a majority stack a school board to force school to teach creationism is exactly the kind of thing they had in mind with it. Pretty sure it was created in response to states passing laws that prevented former slaves from owning firearms to protect themselves.

Po, the kung fu panda
Xtant

Post by Xtant »

Wes, I'm well aware that you can purchase NFA weapons and that KY alllows the purchase of all NFA items.

However, the ban has limited the number of weapons available for purchase and has caused those weapons to increase in value 300%. An M4 costs about $600. The same as an AR15. The difference is one part. Because of the ban, it has put these weapons outside the reach of the common man. My wife and I do ok, but there's no way we could afford $15k+ for a 20+ year old M16.
Sure is a lot of fun while you're doing it...
cliftongifford

Post by cliftongifford »

pigsteak wrote:did ya learn anything clifton?
Nope, I still don't think we have ANY business in Afganistan... We never declared war there, so we shouldn't be dropping bombs there. Yeah, I get it, we do good things sometimes. But you can't do enough good to make up for the MILLIONS of innocent lives lost, people displaced, and a less stable world. There are MORE terrorists now than ever before... why? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we like to drop bombs more than any other country in the world...