what's the longest you've gone without...

Having problems with the board or the online guidebook?
Suggestions welcome.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

Just overt a year for a divorce and this insane Idea that I could make something of myself and have a "normal" life. Now I've got this A2 thing when I want to climb and I'm losing my mind.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Der Revir

Post by Der Revir »

Six to eight months I moved to Hawaii and there is just lava rocks I intended on climbing cause I took all of my gear and convinced myself that i would fly to oahu where there is some sport; instead i just surfed and worked on a boat.......I havent just been as strong and its hard to find that groove when you have "responsibilites" I am completely bumed out just looking out of my window at my old kentucky home is depressing just working and climbing as much as I can but its hard to get back in that groove
we are all mirrors reflecting each others light
hausrath

Post by hausrath »

Three months off no climbing. Did push ups and some ab condition while away, and it took about a month and a half climbing 3 - 5 days a week to get the strength back indoors. Not sure how I'll do outside.... we'll see soon enough. I'm 25.
"Mack and the boys would have thought anyone who traveled without salt, pepper, and coffee very silly indeed."
--Steinbeck
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

In almost 10 years of climbing, I've never had to take a break longer than 3 weeks. Hopefully I don't have to break that record anytime soon. I've been lucky enough to avoid serious injury, but I'm also pretty careful about babying parts of me that I know are susceptible to injury. Sometimes I just have to accept that a certain route isn't worth it.

In other news, seeing Artsay come back from a break is an inspiring thing. I've never met someone who is better at getting psyched at a time when most people would be complaining.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
KD

Post by KD »

its been close to two years for me more or less. motivation is the hardest thing to get back to be honest.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

Der Revir wrote:Six to eight months I moved to Hawaii and there is just lava rocks I intended on climbing cause I took all of my gear and convinced myself that i would fly to oahu where there is some sport; instead i just surfed and worked on a boat.......I havent just been as strong and its hard to find that groove when you have "responsibilites" I am completely bumed out just looking out of my window at my old kentucky home is depressing just working and climbing as much as I can but its hard to get back in that groove
there are a few places to DWS on the big island, but some of the rock is sharp and cutty, but in other places it's nice and smooth. also there are sharks.
KD

Post by KD »

toad857 wrote:
Der Revir wrote:Six to eight months I moved to Hawaii and there is just lava rocks I intended on climbing cause I took all of my gear and convinced myself that i would fly to oahu where there is some sport; instead i just surfed and worked on a boat.......I havent just been as strong and its hard to find that groove when you have "responsibilites" I am completely bumed out just looking out of my window at my old kentucky home is depressing just working and climbing as much as I can but its hard to get back in that groove
there are a few places to DWS on the big island, but some of the rock is sharp and cutty, but in other places it's nice and smooth. also there are sharks.
Sounds a lot like the red - esp the shark part
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Yasmeen wrote:In other news, seeing Artsay come back from a break is an inspiring thing. I've never met someone who is better at getting psyched at a time when most people would be complaining.
Thanks Yasmeen...but it's Ray who's the true inspiration, not me.

Funny how when we can't climb from injury or whot-not, we would give anything "just to climb"; but when we finally get the opportunity, "just to climb" isn't good enough.

I remember being pretty bad company for awhile when I started back but, fortunately for most, my only partner was Ray. One day early on in my recovery and after several days of pouting from not being able to climb harder, Ray said something to me that I will never forget. He said, "So what number do you need to climb before you can have fun again ?". Since I didn't have an answer, I changed my attitude completely from that moment on.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

Ray is Profound
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

Nice Artsay. I have a profound question for Ray to ask myself now.

Dear brentucky, directed from the profound wisdom of Ray, via brentucky:

"So when are you gonna stop trying to get better and just have fun again?"

Don't worry Ray, I do have fun, but of course part of the fun is getting better. Today I 3rd-class scrambled my way down a large hill to jump across big rocks to stand in the middle of a river so I could look up and down it. It was not climbing, and it was fun.

"Shut up brentucky, you pointless idiot," thinks Ray to himself.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening