Free Soloing. What is your view?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

As far as the free soloing.... Let me tell you. I was at Roadside yesterday and there was ice falling everywhere. I was wearing my helmet (I know it makes me look like a penis) because I don't want to pay the ultimate price for persuing climbing. There were these people over at the slab wall and they were coming back to where we were. Huge crashes of ice were going off while they were coming back. I yell to them to watch out for the "drip line" fall area. they walk right up through it. Looking like sheep or some kind of dumb animal that was completely unaware of the danger and its surroundings. When they get to us at up yonder I tell the guy that he should stay out of the 'drip line' and maybe put on the helmet that he had strapped to his pack. He looks at me like I'm speaking Japanese. The girl (smarter of the two!) unsnaps the helmet and puts it on. The guy just starts walking up the trail which at that point is right in the drip line. The girl starts walking in the shadow of the overhang(clever girl). The guy looks back at her and says something to the effect," why are you listening to those two tools, that one guy looked like and Idgit with that helmet on!" so then the girl gets in behind him and and starts walking behind him like a sheep to slaughter.

Yesterday was terrible for Ice Fall. It was really dangerous. I wore the helmet and I never even got on the rope! I just belayed. This whole incident tells me that there needs to be a thinning of the herd. Some of that Darwinism needs to kick in. As far as I'm concerned about this free-soloing subject, if you're stupid enough to do then you're stupid enough to die from it. And for all of you tools who think its great, anyone who listens to you and gets themselves killed is as stupid as you! So you fuckers can go jump off a cliff as far as I'm concerned or maybe just FALL!
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

ynp1 wrote: this is the most action RRC.com as had in a while... could it be because Joe is BACK! i agree that he has nothing good to say, but fuck we all love (hate) to read it... right???
I would agree. I definitely think he has the loudest voice on the subject, and to a sense, I agree with him. Maybe because he is just yelling the loudest though.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
KD

Post by KD »

Hows Gretchen?
toad857

Post by toad857 »

Clevis Hitch wrote:So you fuckers can go jump off a cliff as far as I'm concerned or maybe just FALL!
you're not a supervillain, are you?
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

It doesn't impact me one way or another if some one else free solos. (I guess if the person fell on my head I would be pissed--otherwise, why should I care?)
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.
clif

Post by clif »

i like to yell. people find it more meaningful if i die afterwards. but that's materialistic, which seems so equivocal.
KD

Post by KD »

steep4me wrote:It doesn't impact me one way or another if some one else free solos. (I guess if the person fell on my head I would be pissed--otherwise, why should I care?)
And that's another reason Joe says to always wear a goddamn helmet!
JR

Post by JR »

Clevis Hitch wrote: I was at Roadside yesterday and there was ice falling everywhere. I was wearing my helmet (I know it makes me look like a penis) because I don't want to pay the ultimate price for persuing climbing. There were these people over at the slab wall and they were coming back to where we were. Huge crashes of ice were going off while they were coming back. I yell to them to watch out for the "drip line" fall area. they walk right up through it. Looking like sheep or some kind of dumb animal that was completely unaware of the danger and its surroundings. When they get to us at up yonder I tell the guy that he should stay out of the 'drip line' and maybe put on the helmet that he had strapped to his pack. He looks at me like I'm speaking Japanese. The girl (smarter of the two!) unsnaps the helmet and puts it on. The guy just starts walking up the trail which at that point is right in the drip line. The girl starts walking in the shadow of the overhang(clever girl). The guy looks back at her and says something to the effect," why are you listening to those two tools, that one guy looked like and Idgit with that helmet on!" so then the girl gets in behind him and and starts walking behind him like a sheep to slaughter.
I don't think this really works as a cautionary tale. You think they are sheep at the beginning. You intervene. And you continue to think they are sheep. Nothing really happens other than you seem to get mad at people that don't listen to you after you condescend them.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

this sounds condescending
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

condescend them..? what does that mean? That I'm talking down to them? No,numbnuts! I meant what I said, people are stupid! I can't justify me spending my time looking out for others, when they are too stupid to look out for themselves. I mean for gods sake if ice is falling all around you and you are walking on ice, maybe you should look up every once in a while. If that jackass had've gotten hit by ice I swear to you on my balls I would've left his stupid ass there for the coyotes.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!