What would you build?

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
Scott P.

What would you build?

Post by Scott P. »

I have a space in my warehouse at work that I am building a wall and want to know what is the most effective angle at which to build it. The space is 14' wide and 14' tall. 50 degrees seems too steep, and vert is too boring. I was thinking that I would keep it all at around 30 degrees. What have others done? What works or doesn't work?
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

depends on what you want to train for, but 30 degrees is usually pretty good.
clif

Post by clif »

what's the other dimension? that is, how long is the space? i guess i was thinking that if you put the floor anchor board on the middle you could have one side (of an offset V) be 30 degrees and the other be more or less.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

45 degrees to 25 degrees, all the wall to the top.

Or just 35 degrees all the way.
Living the dream
RRO

Post by RRO »

too steep you jack your elbows and shoulders up, not steep enough you dont get strong.........somewhere in the middle :)

sounds close to dons wall except the height. but with that kind of height and space you can vary your wall a little. go real steep for almost half, create a corner/arete that links to the other half thats not too steep. be creative with the link section and tops and bottom. with the space you have you could have some fun with it. add small features as well.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
_Rasputin

Post by _Rasputin »

With 14' wide you might be able to make 1/2 be one angle and the other slightly different. This will produce a triangular shaped, area between the two angles that will be perpendicular to the back wall.

Also 14' x 14' may be a little big to do this however I've seen a few walls that are hinged at the bottom and have a sliding bracket at the top. 2 Grigri and short pieces of climbing rope are used to lower the wall then the support brackets are rebolted in place. 2 come alongs are used to stand the wall up.
My baloney has a first name.
Scott P.

Post by Scott P. »

Thanks. I think I'll go with the varied angle that RRO suggested. I'll put up some pics when I'm done.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i'd use it for dead hooker storage.
but it may not be big enough.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Don't make it too complicated, and I do believe I said the varied angle first.

Start with a 45 degree angle for 7 feet, and then 20-25 degrees for the rest to the top. Don't make any aretes, roofs, or any other stupid angles. You just want a clean wall for cranking. Make a few small features out of wood, that you can screw on and off to add variety. The problem with features is the drastically dictate the setting, so if they are permanent you end up with a lot of the same.

Or you can do the opposite. 25 degrees, to 45, but I think the other way is better.
Living the dream
toad857

Post by toad857 »

i agree--the steeper 45 degree angle will allow for much more dead hooker storage space behind the wall than a 30 degree.