Repairing Battery Packs

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
whatahutch

Repairing Battery Packs

Post by whatahutch »

I was wondering if anyone has repaired their own battery packs instead of buying new ones for your drill. It doesn't sound too tough, but I was just wondering. Have you done it? Is is tough? Time consuming, etc.?
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

If they use a standard cell and your handy with a soldering iron I don't see why not, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't order the individual cells from an RC toy parts supplier. I bet the hard part would be getting the pack back in the plastic housing tightly.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

If you have a Bosch drill, get a battery from here: http://bosch.cpotools.com/accessories/batteries/

I bought my spare 36volt from there. http://bosch.cpotools.com/accessories/b ... at836.html
ynot

Post by ynot »

I'm not too suprised at the price. An ordinary 14.4 volt for my cordless drill cost around 70. The lithiums are much better than the old ones.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

That is the reason why I am wondering about replacing the cells myself. The drill is actually my work crews', but because of the times, they don't have enough money to pay for two new battery packs, just one. I get to use the drill for my self and will pay for the cells out of my own pocket and put the man hour(s) into fixing the second old pack.
I have used it to put up routes before.
I am not going to buy a new pack with my own money though.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
toad857

Post by toad857 »

not sure about the batteries that drills usually use, but i saw the word 'lithium'...

if you do your bolting in the winter, which fair to say that a lot of folks do, i imagine that lithium is better. lithium batteries last longer in cold temperatures than regular batteries. again, not sure what kind of batteries they normally use, though.
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

voltman batteries is in Ohio, I think? Check them out online
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.
possum2082

Post by possum2082 »

here's what i did. i used the info here and hooked up a couple of sla's. spent 20 bucks on the battery.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/for ... y;#1264146

works great!
Last edited by possum2082 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sendit

Post by sendit »

hold on, hold, hold on ,hold on, hold on, they're LITHIUM!
all you haters die slow.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

There are a couple of companies that will replace the cells for you... I went through one in LA called West Coast Battery Rebuilders.... like $25 or something like that. Really supercharging with 3x12V or 2x12V external SLA's is the way to go though for long-term drilling and saving money.