Crag Talk

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.

How do you feel about talking about plastic pulling while real rock climbing?

You may select 1 option

View results

rjackson

Post by rjackson »

A couple of climbers talking about gym routes is no more distracting than a couple climbers talking about the best goat cheese.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
krampus

Post by krampus »

rjackson wrote:A couple of climbers talking about gym routes is no more distracting than a couple climbers talking about the best goat cheese.
its not that its distracting, (though I do love some goat cheese) its just lame, if you are so excited about that gym rout you are working on, stay at the gym. Leave the rock open for the rest of us. If your a gym rat to the core then stay there, your plastic pulling is not impressive.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

krampus wrote:
rjackson wrote:A couple of climbers talking about gym routes is no more distracting than a couple climbers talking about the best goat cheese.
its not that its distracting, (though I do love some goat cheese) its just lame, if you are so excited about that gym rout you are working on, stay at the gym. Leave the rock open for the rest of us. If your a gym rat to the core then stay there, your plastic pulling is not impressive.
but neither is rock climbing impressive....why all the hate?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
krampus

Post by krampus »

pigsteak wrote: but neither is rock climbing impressive....why all the hate?
because it keeps up the solidarity amongst us "real climbers"
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
davyanderson

Post by davyanderson »

krampus wrote:
I wonder if Steve House would find any climb at the Red "impressive".

I like to talk to people who are psyched about climbing. As long as they're being positive, who cares where the climb is located or whether the route is man-made. People can sound like total jackasses whether they're talking about some badass climb on fine Corbin sandstone or spraying about the pink route.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

If you're psyched about gym climbing, then you'll be fun to train with.
gripster

Post by gripster »

It's all pointless, isn't that the point?

"Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love!"-William Shatner
woman

Post by woman »

Officially, I don't think its a faux pass to talk about gym training at the crag, but I did feel funny about it when I said something along the lines of:

Skinboat=the yellow route.

However, I've never thought it odd when I hear people talk about their gyms at the crag...I have certainly heard of stranger things!! (nipple hair...toe fungus...Ray's ability to pee in a very tall arch...anything that comes out of Yasi's mouth, especially concerning what she has seen recently on youtube... :) )
"Take revenge...shit on a pidgeon."
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

woman wrote:Skinboat=the yellow route.
A.K.A "The route with too much baggage". I never did send that thing. It's hard to swallow your ego and project a gym route that sees people up and downclimb it ad nauseum.

Unless there is a new yellow route. :D
woman

Post by woman »

Don't feel bad...up and down climbing that thing took months of work...Kris and I even washed the holds and put them back up. It was stripped just before its 1st birthday (July 22) so you can imagine how many days we all spent working on it--totally worth it, and I'm sad its gone.

The new yellow, aptly named "euthenasia" doesn't live up to its precedent.

That said, is it gauche to talk about a gym route on an outdoor climbing forum?
"Take revenge...shit on a pidgeon."