Simul-repel accident today at Military

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

krampus wrote:my question is, what rout were they on at military that a double rope repel did not reach the ground? Were they 40 meter ropes? How many times did they cut their 60? Or where they really trying to get off a two to three pitch climb (jungle beat 180 ft) with only one 60?
that's what i was wondering.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
ynot

Post by ynot »

Gi doesn't top out any more. Do any of the sport routes need two ropes to get down where you cant see the bottom?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
A. Love

Post by A. Love »

My friends and I assisted with the rescue.

The climbers were rappeling after climbing Jungle Beat. It was very unfortunate what happenned. The guide clearly indicates that two rappels are necessary to reach the ground, but it may have been a situation where the climbers did not haver a guide.

Things to keep in mind: Unless there is a good reason, such as impending bad weather, a single rappel can be less confusing. Checking and double checking that ropes have reached the ground is important, tying knots in the end of your ropes is never a bad idea if rappeling or belaying and lowering off a long route.

Due to our various levels of comfort we can become complacent with the systems we use. Please always be aware, climbing is dangerous.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Were they using 2 50m ropes?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
hamsco

Post by hamsco »

You can get down from Jungle Beat using two, single (50 or 60m) Raps. If you choose the right spot. Which is a huge tree (2.5 ft. dia.) with webbing, cable, and ropes on it.
No creeds, manuals, or special translations
A. Love

Post by A. Love »

Word is that the climbers did make two rappels, so it blows at least one theory out of the water.

Also the report is of a broken coccyx and two fractured (but stable) vertebrae.