broken scaphoid

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Speaking of hippies spewing crap.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
gripster

Post by gripster »

alright you bunch of hippies. first of all, i am not nice. second of all, any effect felt from eating almonds is purely placebo. although they are a tasty and nutritional treat, it would be ignorant to believe that the small amount of alkalinity that an average serving of almonds provides would make any difference in the overall pH of your body since your body is buffered (i am assuming that is what you are referring to?). so yes technically it might help your osteoporosis, but probably not, and you would have to eat a lot of them. and if you have never met a hippie scientist or doctor then you haven't looked very hard, there are plenty of "scientist" out there that promote all sorts of holistic BS.
tutugirl

Post by tutugirl »

Sorry...I would still take the holistic approach rather than the prescribed prescribed BS. It might be all in the mind but ... that is a good place to be :)
Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.
gripster

Post by gripster »

fair enough. placebos really do work, it has been proven time and time again. but i have been in the pharmaceutical world long enough to know that holistic treatments do not work, and often times are just as if not more dangerous than commercial drugs, and therefore my jaded self cannot be affected by said placebo effect because i can't trick myself into believing it. if you want my advice, don't do any treatments unless you have to, and if you have to, I would stick with actual medicines.
ahab

Post by ahab »

here's what i'm workin' with.

the x-ray shows a "skier's thumb". my x-ray was almost identical, but on the opposite side - essentially a "reverse skier's thumb". i've been wearing a thumb base spica for 2 weeks & have 2 more to go.
i've been climbing vertical stuff (no pinches) on it whiile wearing the splint.

anyone ever do this to themselves? did you climb on it? heal time? will my thumb fall off if i masturbate?

buy the Ticket take the Ride
Jay

Post by Jay »

ahab wrote: will my thumb fall off if i masturbate?
Yes.

If you still have a thumb in 1 month, I'll have no choice but to assume you're actually a cyborg...
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

What the hell is holistic about eating the right nutrients to promote healing? We aren't talking about some special herb that is going to cure a broken bone. Now, if we had mentioned knitbone, aka comfrey, you might have a leg to stand on.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Listen, Saxman. Don't be coming around here with your hullabalu about eating right and exercising. We don't need any of that crap. The docs will take care of the side effects with another prescription. You just stay over there in your hippy compound eating almonds and singing songs.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

I didn't say anything about exercise. That's bad. It takes energy away from the body healing. People with broken bones should lie still in bed.
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

Scaphoid fractures can be bad. It's blood supply is more complicated than most bones and it has a much higher rate of non-union (i.e. non-healing) than most other fractures. We normally say 6 weeks for most fractures, but this one can take longer and often needs a trip to the OR to pin it back in place. The take-home message: don't screw around with this one. If they say no climbing, don't climb.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.