Road to the Southern Region is Closed

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Savage

Post by Savage »

Coach Kige wrote:Just so that I'm crystal clear about the location of the roadblock: You can get to Bald Rock Fork rd. off of 498 from 52?
Dont sweat it, the detour is well posted and very obvious. After you head north and you hit the 498 "T"-intersection, make sure you turn RIGHT!!! the detour tells you to turn left, but that is for 498 WEST.
kromwell

Post by kromwell »

Google maps shows a "cave fork road" and it looks to be a nice alternate route down to the southern region. Is this the aforementioned "creek" route? Also, would this be off limits due to the oil companies and trespassing etc?
krampus

Post by krampus »

please stop posting on here until the road is open, I believe that every single alternative rout has been mentioned and you can always look at a map of the area. Note that most of those rodes require 4WD and clearance.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Slade&state=KY

I am not trying to be a dick (this time) but there are really only three ways to go and they have all been covered, exhaustively. Read the thread, post when the road is open. yay :lol:
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
rocker_delux

Post by rocker_delux »

Well MOST are covered. Here's the rundown.

Option 1 - 11 down to Beattyville and back up 1144 to 498. To get to PMRP, go right as savage said. This is not too bad and you don't need a 4 wheel drive. You can also do this to get to Lago Linda but turn left at 498 to go back to 52. NOTE: There are a lot of cops this way so watch your driving!

Option 2 - 1036/1746. This was pretty good but is mostly gravel. 4WD drive not needed but this road will be fun on a dark, rainy night! The key is that from 11 it's KY-1036 but from 52 it's KY-1746. Took us a couple times to find that out! If you're coming from the 11 side, take a left on 52 once you get there and then another left on 498.

Option 3 - The Bald Rock Fork/Cave Fork Rd back roads route. Seeing what I saw going down to Sore Heel, I would not recommend this to anyone who hasn't done it before. I'm pretty good at map reading but there are side roads left and right around there and I just think you're headed for a world of hurt! I'd like to see what a GPS has on that though.

I don't see 498 opening soon. We took a look and a good piece of one lane caved open about 5 feet deep (a future route? - LOL). It's on the side with like a 20' dropoff so I can see why they closed it.

Other than that, PMRP was awesome. Great routes so it's worth the trip.

Have fun!
sgauss

Post by sgauss »

And it was fine Friday afternoon. There's still a gravel patch where it must've collapsed, so more work will follow.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Yes. Open.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

can we take down this post as an announcement? the road is open and has been for a bit :-D
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

Josephine wrote:can we take down this post as an announcement? the road is open and has been for a bit :-D
don't take it down, it makes the southern region quieter by keeping people away.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.