The ongoing local, nowcast, conditions report

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Wes

Post by Wes »

Soooo nice the last couple days. Sitting with the screen door only, and it feels nice and cool. Rock felt pretty nice today as well.

Moved to the red for the worst (far and away) winter in 11 years. Quit (mostly) climbing for the best summer in 11 years. FML.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Wes wrote:Soooo nice the last couple days. Sitting with the screen door only, and it feels nice and cool. Rock felt pretty nice today as well.

Moved to the red for the worst (far and away) winter in 11 years. Quit (mostly) climbing for the best summer in 11 years. FML.
it must be in the slade water.....rro quits climbing, wes quits....are you saying we should keep our day jobs and keep frothing at the mouth for the incrredible opoprtunities you guys have to climb? or thank the climbing gods that we don't live 10 minutes from world class sandstone?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Rained pretty hard yesterday afternoon/evening, but has cleared up since then. Humidity was up today though - felt like summer again, though a bit cooler.

Since no one has used the rrg_cond hashtag yet, maybe we should come up with something else? Maybe rrg_climb then it can include weather, crowds, dui checkpoints, and just where you are climbing that day? I will start updating that tag today as well. @wesfromky is my twitter...

Got out to climb a bit today. Well it was just trad climbing, so not real climbing, but psyched for Tania - flash snake for her third trad lead. Pretty soon, I won't have to lead at all!

Po, the kung fu panda
neuroshock

Post by neuroshock »

Wes wrote:Since no one has used the rrg_cond hashtag yet, maybe we should come up with something else? Maybe rrg_climb then it can include weather, crowds, dui checkpoints, and just where you are climbing that day? I will start updating that tag today as well. @wesfromky is my twitter...
http://neuroshock.info/climbing/rrg_climb/
mike_anderson

Post by mike_anderson »

What do you mean "DUI checkpoints"?
Wes

Post by Wes »

mike_anderson wrote:What do you mean "DUI checkpoints"?
They run DUI check points at a few different places around the red - usually Nada Tunnel, chimney top road, 715 near the beer trailer, at Glen Carrin road, etc.

Po, the kung fu panda
mike_anderson

Post by mike_anderson »

Please don't drink and drive.

The roads around the Red are dangerous enough as it is without sprinkling in blurred vision and delayed reaction time. I'm all for taking risks "for the fun of it", but when you drink and drive you endanger other innocent people.
Wes

Post by Wes »

mike_anderson wrote:Please don't drink and drive.

The roads around the Red are dangerous enough as it is without sprinkling in blurred vision and delayed reaction time. I'm all for taking risks "for the fun of it", but when you drink and drive you endanger other innocent people.
Yes, drinking and driving is bad. But, at least to me, these check points are less about public safety, and more about constitutionally murky fishing expeditions for things you may, or may not, be doing wrong. After going through a couple, including one where I was called a "bad citizen" for refusing to wave my right against unreasonable search, I just have a kinda bad impression of them.

But, back to condtions - nice a cool tonight, but still feels a bit muggy. Will have an update tomorrow, but will be in Lexington Saturday and maybe Sunday, so you all are on your own, unless someone else steps up!

Po, the kung fu panda
Wes

Post by Wes »

Rain this morning - looks like it might hang around for a bit. Humidity has been up the last couple of days as well, but temps are still nice for late July. Twitter hashtag changed again (sorry Mike) to #rrgclimb as per suggestion of paul.

Po, the kung fu panda
captain static

Post by captain static »

Looks like we are going to have a good weekend for JATD!
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh