Terry

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
rockman

Post by rockman »

Modest Mouse

"Some day you will die and
Someone's or something's will steal your carbon"

reminded me of Turry
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
RRO

Post by RRO »

warren zevon hit the random play list today.

"Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan"

it was good
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
ynot

Post by ynot »

I like how this thread has gone 16 pages and never goes away. Just like his memory.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
redrivernovice

amazing

Post by redrivernovice »

Well first I must introduce myself. My name is Seth Shelby and I am terry kindred's nephew. His former wife Debbie is my late fathers sister. Uncle Terry was a eccentric guy to say the least. I have been to the Gorge with Uncle Terry since I was in the 8th grade so 99', so I missed a lot before he passed. Although my trips were spread apart by time the memory of climbing, hiking, kayaking, and everything in between with Uncle Terry were some of the best memories of my life. He made a huge impact on what I considered humor and sarcasm. It is simply amazing how many of you have wrote on this post and carry such strong feelings for him still. It really displays the fellowship and friendship all of you share at the Red, and Im glad to say I got to experience a hand full of times with one of the best who ever climbed there. God Bless
seth shelby
charlie

Post by charlie »

It's good to see you post.

I miss that fucker a lot this time of year. It's his birthday next Thurs I think. I can't think of anything else in the world I'd like better than to buy him a beer.
JB

Post by JB »

charlie, buy it for him anyway... and then drink it for him.

i recently had two kids out here tell me that they thought i was a complete asshole because the first time i met them i corrected some dangerous flaw in their belaying or yelled at them to put their brake hand back on. now they said they're not so sure, but i still might be an asshole. it reminded me of someone....

i took it as a great compliment.
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Hey Seth,
that is funny you should mention that he taught you a lot about sarcasm and humor. I chuckle at remembering his humor, becuase he was THE most sarcastic dude I ever met. Damn, he loved taking the piss out of the literal person.
He taught me about sarcasm, too. He set the standard for not taking yourself too seriously.
On an aside, I got on his routes, Parting Gift and All Things Considered, the other day.
Happy Birthday, TK.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
rockman

Post by rockman »

So I was doing some harddrive cleanup of my billions of files, and came across this file that I wrote about Terry for some reason, I think it may have been for the guidebook (Ray ?) not sure.. anyway, im feeling shitty... I miss that fucker.

ever he went. Terry and I shared many good conversations, topics of which include:
politics, music, food, life, and of course climbing. Not many people have spent as
many hours pondering "Best Practices" for rock-climbing as Terry. From belayers
"Doing the Math", to developers "engineering" a route, Terry had thought through almost
every senerio and was willing to share his knowledge/experiences with anyone who
would listen.This isnt to say that all people were acceptive of his suggestions, as Terry
was brutley honest.

"This climbing thing is a team sport, Son. The Belayer is an active participant!"

As Team Leader of Team Suck, he was responsable for setting the stage at the cliff.
When a fellow Team Suck member screwed up, or fell for some silly reason, he would
instantly start yelling "YOU SUCK!". Of course we were all in on the joke, but many of
the people at the cliff were not. This type of behavior was used by the whole team to
weed out the "Literal People".
In the 8 years knowing Terry, we had grown to be more than climbing partners,
we had grown to be buds. Many times driving to/from the Red, we would get the Led out,
or listen to Floyd. Many songs I listen to now (expecially Pink Floyd), I listen to
again for the first time. Having a brand new look at some of the deeper lyrics and
rythms. "Pigs on a Wing","Great Gig in the Sky", "Time", "Wish you were here" just to
name a few.
Terry, like some music, was only appreciated at full volume (11) and in small doses.
He not only enjoyed music, food, climbing, and friends, but he experienced them. He
attempted to have a connection with everything that he enjoyed. Whether it was listening
to music, eating a meal, or reading the paper, he was there, living that moment.

For stories about Terry, see me at the crag as I'm not willing to lose my friend easily.
For a man that loved life so much, I feel that there is a disturbance in the force now
that he is no longer climbing the same routes as his friends.
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Blake.
I thought about Terry on Thursday at the base of trocs.
One-Fall

Post by One-Fall »

You cant go a month without mentioning his name out at the cliffs.
Can't we all just get along?