Seneca/Nelson Rocks

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Jeff

Seneca/Nelson Rocks

Post by Jeff »

Gonna take tha annual fall trip to the New for a week in Sept. and am kickin' around the idea of Senaca/Nelson Rocks for a day or two diversion.
I know, why leave when there is so much at the New? Not even sure if we will head up that way.
Has anyone climbed at Nelson Rocks Preserve?
Any good?
Worth the trip from the New?
Hard to find routes?
captain static

Post by captain static »

I have never been to Nelson but have been to Seneca many times. From what I have heard Nelson is OK if you need a sport climbing fix. I'd skip Nelson and head to Seneca. You won't be disappointed even if you do one of the easier trad routes. There are few places in the east where you can get that experience of standing on a summit. The swimmin' hole there is great too. If you decide to go I can recommend some nice link-ups.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Cool and thanks Capt.
I am just thinking of the dog and multi-pitch. She tends to freak when we both leave her for awhile, so I'm not sure if we will go to Seneca or not.
Of course she usually gets over it after awhile.
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

if you find yourself waiting in long lines at SR, do yourself a favor and head down to Nelson. no, when you compare it to SR it is not the best climbing area. Nelson does offer many great sport and trad routes without the crowds. give it a try you will not be disapointed.
because i can
Steve

Post by Steve »

Both places are very cool, but you owe it to yourself to go to Seneca. Skip the freakin' New hefe! Its cragging...on sandstone....you've done that before. Seneca Rocks (while it holds a special place in my heart for various reasons) is right up your alley, fun multi-pitch trad. Go during the week to aviod crowds and mass chaos on the more popular routes. Nice campground, warm showers, yummy apple dumplings at the Front Porch, bouldering at Spruce Knob, hiking in the Dolly Sods, alternative climbing at Nelson or Franklin....why go anywhere else? Seriously Seneca is way better than the New if you are looking for a change of pace from cragging on brown rock.

Nelson is a nice diversion from SR. There are some fun 'adventure' sport routes as well as some cool trad lines. They have their own version of a via feratta so I don't know if that has brought on any crowds. It is worth a day, but only if you are bored at Seneca.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
deal with it

Post by deal with it »

Seneca sucks for a dog but is firgin cool for a climber....I took my dog there and spent a lot of time finding places off the trail to tie her up where she couldn't hang herself...every other time back there I have found someone to watch her for me. You should go to Seneca to experience it.... it is very different from the new, different style and atmosphere.
Don't try and impress anyone, its you own blood you bleed man.
vic

Post by vic »

The tour wouldn't be complete without Nelson. Check it out!
Climbs there have gone National: well worth the detour.
If I had to choose one: I would go for Senecca... but that's just me.
If you can do both, do not hesitate.
Cheers
! Enough with all that detestation ALREADY !
Smile & be thankful for what you have.
vic

Post by vic »

Cat Carcasses???

SCIN: someone is messing with your forum.
I wrote c.l.i.m.b.s. there, not Cat Carcasses...
! Enough with all that detestation ALREADY !
Smile & be thankful for what you have.
rhino

Post by rhino »

Seneca is a lot of fun, I would suggest going during the week if at all possible.

PM me if you want some route suggestions.
"Hookers and drugs man. Money can't buy happiness but it's really hard not to smile when you're in a cheap hotel room surrounded by hookers and drugs." ~ Charlie
traddaddy

Post by traddaddy »

Seneca is obviously worth it, and NRP is just 20 miles away. You should definitely make the drive!

Oh yeah, btw. Stu's via ferreta rocks too!... http://www.geocities.com/traddaddy/nrp/nelson1.html