The ongoing weekend idiot report

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
trog

Post by trog »

does this mean I have to take back all my redpoint onsight flashes hanging the draws from my list? and I was just getting comfortable sleeping in my harness and helmet...
ancient gumby,
whatsa gumby?
512OW

Post by 512OW »

I suppose that technically, an onsight (which is a flash), is also a redpoint. So... maybe piggie is the real noob here...
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
Redpoint

Post by Redpoint »

Well more technically an onsight (which is different from a flash), is also different from a redpoint since a onsight means you sent it on your first attempt without beta, a flash is when you sent it your first attempt with beta, and an onisight means you sent it on your second or more try, and so I think the whole thing is hilarious, and this is a pretty big run-on sentence.
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

No, redpoint just means you sent it while hanging the draws, infinite tries. But then again, nobody uses the term pinkpoint anymore, so redpoint has lost its meaning. Redpoint now includes stick clipping the 4th draw. lol.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Redpoint wrote:onisight means you sent it on your second or more try,
Wow, I have been so misinformed. I guess I need to read more climbing books.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Redpoint wrote:Well more technically an onsight (which is different from a flash), is also different from a redpoint since a onsight means you sent it on your first attempt without beta, a flash is when you sent it your first attempt with beta, and an onisight means you sent it on your second or more try, and so I think the whole thing is hilarious, and this is a pretty big run-on sentence.
No, an onsight IS a flash. In fact, the term was originally "onsight flash". Both terms are also redpoints, since all a redpoint means is that you climbed from the bottom to the top without weighting the rope or gear, on lead, whether you flash it, onsight it, or do it on your 383723804 attempt (which for some people nowadays would be converted to 3rd redpoint attempt).
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
sendit

Post by sendit »

512OW wrote:
No, an onsight IS a flash. In fact, the term was originally "onsight flash". Both terms are also redpoints, since all a redpoint means is that you climbed from the bottom to the top without weighting the rope or gear, on lead, whether you flash it, onsight it, or do it on your 383723804 attempt (which for some people nowadays would be converted to 3rd redpoint attempt).

An onsight is NOT the same as a flash....
For example, Sean McColl flashed thanatopsis because he was coached/sprayed down on the route. Here's a video of him discussing flashing Thana and onsighting white mans....
http://petzlcrew.petzlteam.com/index.ph ... ean-McColl

More reference...
http://www.8a.nu/?IncPage=http%3A//www. ... eId%3D4007[/i]
all you haters die slow.
ahab

Post by ahab »

Redpoint wrote:is not
512OW wrote:nuh-uh
sendit wrote:uh-huh
512OW wrote:is not
Redpoint wrote:is so
yawn.
with a user name like redpoint, he obviously knows what he's talking about. just take his word for it, k?
buy the Ticket take the Ride
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

Flash - n. completion of a climb first try with no falls. 2. (vb.) to perform a flash.
Onsight - n/vb. a clean ascent with no falls, first try, with no prior knowledge of the route.
Redpoint - n/vb. a clean ascent with no falls, placing protection while climbing.
Pinkpoint - n.vb. A clean (no-falls) ascent of a route on lead with gear pre-placed. The climber need only clip the rope into the preplaced protection while climbing. Note: This term has disappeared from sport climbing terminology with all clean leads called redpoints.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Redpoint wrote:That is not what John Long said in How to Rock Climb, Advanced Rock Climbing, Climbing Anchors, More Climbing Anchors, or Climbing Anchors 2nd Ed. so fuck you all.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.