Seeking NC Advice: Blowing Rock, Linville Gorge

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
charlie

Post by charlie »

One of my buds I grew up with owns Stickboy Bread!

Good to hear someone else recommend it.
hamsco

Post by hamsco »

My fav at Table is Peek-A-Boo
deff not a sport route, but really fun, in a NC way
No creeds, manuals, or special translations
Tunica Intima

Post by Tunica Intima »

Mellow Mushroom has good pizza, ditto on Black Cat and Espresso News, Boone Bagelry is good for a quik bite in the morning.
gripster

Post by gripster »

charlie wrote:One of my buds I grew up with owns Stickboy Bread!

Good to hear someone else recommend it.
tell him it's the bomb, and the poor college students greatly appreciate the lunch special (if it still exists).
Barnacle Ben

Post by Barnacle Ben »

Hey, one more request: any advice on camping. It sounds like it's going to be too hot around Blowing Rock elevation (3k). Grandfather is around 6k, but I'm not sure how high the camping is and it looks kind of touristy (Rv's, etc.) Basically, I'm looking for primitive and/or non-electric tent camping. That kind of thing.

thanks.
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham
Wes

Post by Wes »

You can camp at lineville - primitive, but just a short walk from the parking area. Plus, there are little pull out's on the way up.

There is a Park Service campground on the parkway - next to a lake and not too bad. The grandfather campground is pricey and the tent area isn't great, but they do have showers.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
kdelap

Post by kdelap »

Camped the last 3 days at Table Rock. Good breeze at night and not bad climbing in the shade.
http://www.foxmountainguides.com
gripster

Post by gripster »

the camping that wes mentioned off the parkway is called price park campground. It is the shadiest and nicest in my opinion and has bathrooms, and is also more centrally located (pretty much equal distances to grandmother mountain and blowing rock boulders, and very close to shiprock). it will be about 45 minutes to linville gorge but like i mentioned previously i cannot highly recommend climbing there this time of year. it is not free however, but the camping in linville gorge is if you are cheap.

don't worry about the heat factor though. the boone area is not like slade, it does cool down at night even this time of year. i would expect the temperatures to not exceed the upper 60's at night.
Barnacle Ben

Post by Barnacle Ben »

Nice, I'll definitely be bringing my stuff then. Linville Falls campground looked real nice but a little pricey. Thanks again!
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham
ScrmnPeeler

Post by ScrmnPeeler »

camp at table rock. Last July nights were low 70s when i was therre. It was definitely nice. Bring your own water as none is available up there.

Make sure your car's coolant system is ready for the final push up to the parking lot. I saw 2 overheats while i was there.
So, you're a feminist...isn't that cute.