New Campground - Right near Muir Valley

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
slaps

Post by slaps »

yes, in fact the owner usually brings wood for a big bon fire
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

I'm considering trying out this campground this weekend....but I heard from some climbers thet stayed here that there is a bit of a shortage of flat ground on which to pitch a tent...

Can anyone confirm or deny this...?
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
Barnacle Ben

Post by Barnacle Ben »

I'll echo michalearmand's question and ask a few others: are dogs ok and is there anywhere to camp with some trees around, or is it all just a big field?
"But the motto was, never think you're that cool - you're still just climbing rocks...in the woods...with bugs...and everyone thinks you're crazy."

- Dave Graham
jenH

Post by jenH »

when driving by, it appears to be a large open area, no trees around.... looked desolate except for a couple 5th wheels
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

So I guess I'll revive this thread and hope that somebody has stayed there and can share a review. How is the camping? And how is the on-site climbing? I'd figure the place to be busy this being the season and all.

I tried the website and it appears to be down...
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

I know folks who are swearing by it. You can "camp" inside the big metal building, staying dry and warm, with a big screen tv....not sure how noise levels would be when youa re ready to crash. also showers, so the price of $5 is right on.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Noise? Doesn't everyone keep those cheap foam ear plugs in their tents, gear, car, etc?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
heacocis

Post by heacocis »

The place is great; it is the only place I stay now. I usually describe it as 'a bit rough around the edges, but a great set up.' There is plenty of flat space for tents, and there is indeed a large building you can also stay in. There is a large pavilion for cooking/eating, and a bathroom facility with two showers. David (the owner) is extremely nice and is trying to be as climber friendly as possible. Dogs and fires are fine. There is potential for routes on the property, but none currently. There is a long continuous wall that has several obvious boulder problems, but I wouldn't go there specifically for bouldering. And, all for $5 a night. Hope this helps.
Wave Bolt- the best climbing bolt available! www.wavebolt.com

"...I'm over all that macho stuff, and if I bolt a route, it will be done properly." - Colin Goodey
Jay

Post by Jay »

Where exactly is the campground?

Their website appears to be down, and it doesn't say on their facebook page...
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields
ditzywonder

Post by ditzywonder »

jay, call me and ask me!
black diamonds are a girls best friend