Too Old?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

twan wrote:Im 29 and just started about 7 or 8 months ago and I'm super happy with where I am at right now..
I'm super sad... :cry:
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

27...too old? Yes. Don't bother, by the time you become totally obsessed it'll be too late.
There is no TEAM in I
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

just get one of them 9 rings and a spray bottle to mist your rope/hardware during them speed sport rappells
trog

Post by trog »

old?
you don't even know old, and
yes, you're too old - you peaked at 19

all you can hope for now are more practiced excuses
ancient gumby,
whatsa gumby?
Redpoint

Post by Redpoint »

Ya I did forget to mention my other downside of starting to sport climb at 27; I fell so in love with it that I just can't pace myself. As a result I have had some injuries, but nothing major:

I hurt my shoulder and had to wait a week for it to recover.

I was bouldering and did a huge move to a crimper (without warming up properly first) and hurt my finger. My book says that is one of the best ways to injure yourself climbing. And that incident took me over a week to recover from.

I hurt my bicep and had to take a week off to let it recover.

I also hurt my my forearm and had to take a week off.

I was lead climbing in the cave and someone gave me a static belay, which led to me swinging so hard in to the wall that I ended up injuring the back of my calf, and I had to take a week off of climbing.

Recently I was climbing way too hard for a couple hours strait and I got tired. I then decided to climb a route that is like a nonstop boulder problem full of sidepull slopers, and I hurt my shoulder again, but I only had to take about 4 days off of climbing.

Basically I have learned that if I do a 10 minute stretch routine and then warm up properly the chance of me having an injury goes way down. I also learned how important it is to take a rest day after a hard day of climbing, and not to climb something real hard when I am tired if I want to avoid being injured. I only took those weeks off not because I couldn't climb, but to recover from the injury. I am educated enough on the matter of injuries to know that if you truly love the sport you will recover from your injury instead of prolonging it, and possibly prolonging it for life, which could even mean never being able to climb again(I got that information from a climbing site that also owns a medical website, but I unfortunately can't find the link for that site anymore).

Here is some great sites below for how to train and prevent injuries. I highly suggest reading them before you start to train:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/climbing_training.html

http://www.abc-of-rockclimbing.com/training/

Here is a great article called #1 Cause of Rock Climbing Injury:
http://blog.worldvillage.com/recreation ... njury.html
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

You are never too old to start wasting huge amounts of time getting a modicum of exercise that could more efficiently be had in thirty minutes in your basement,
or to channel your inner narcissist. Enjoy.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

It's not an injury if you only have to take off a week of climbing.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

and if you aren't onsighting 12's, there are no moves even remotely hard enough on those special boy routes to injure you. an "under 12" injury is just like an under 12 route....doesn't count for anything.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

Piggy doesn't count for anything. Haha.
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Come on Piggie, he read that shit online and in a book. That makes him an expert even though he has only been climbing 7 months.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.