Areas to crash/climb?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
jkowa693

Areas to crash/climb?

Post by jkowa693 »

Hey, I'm new on the boards here, and I feel that this place could have some informatoin I am looking for. I am bringing a group of 4 down to RRG for spring break. None of us have been there before, and I was wondering where to stay. A friend of mine has crashed at Miguels, and we are looking to stay there also. HOWEVER if it's crazy busy, where else can we look to camp out for fairly cheap. ALSO, the three I am bringing down are fairly new to climbing and we aren't loooking to crush 13's etc. I am a fairly solid 10b/c climber and can push through most 10's and project 11's. the other three are all climbing in the 8's and 9's. is there an area in teh gorge that has a larger concentration of these routes? I want to make this a trip for all of them to enjoy PERIOD. so if you can help me out that would be awesome. Thank You.
jkowa693

Post by jkowa693 »

Also we are looking to sport cimb
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

http://redriveroutdoors.com/
If you want a very nice inexpensive cabin to stay in

or you can buy a camping pass at any local stores and stay in the park.

As climbing goes check out the online guide book. I think you can search route by grade.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Old Gregg

Post by Old Gregg »

Muir Valley would prolly be a good spot for your buddies. Make sure to sign the waiver before going there. You can also do an advanced search in the online guide book where you can type in the grades you are looking for and it will bring them up by route name, grade and which crag they are located at. As for camping, there is forest everywhere :lol: .
You like Bailey's?
jkowa693

Post by jkowa693 »

HAHA ya, I am aware of the forest, however the last thing I want is to make the locals mad, or get a fine? is that possible to just camp out? Cabins? thanks but no thanks.
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Miguels is great, crowded just means more fun. Chance to meet climbers and get route beta. You won't regret it. It's also the center of the climbing universe for you. Muir is very good idea. Practice Wall and Bruise Brothers make for nice sporty starting areas. Much much more too. When is your 'spring break'? They're all over the place these days. I assume that to be the week after Easter, which is pretty late this year into April. Maybe see 'ya there.
rohr

Post by rohr »

Roadside would have what you're looking for. A couple good fun climbs in the 7-8 range as well as some nice 10s and 11s. The problem is it can get super crowded, especially down at the end of the wall with the easy stuff as big groups with lots of new climbers tend to congregate there.

As Old Gregg said, Muir is great. Good easy stuff at Bruise Brothers wall and really easy stuff at Practice Wall. Muir also can get packed, especially the easier stuff. Visit www.muirvalley.com so you can read the rules and sign the waiver.

The PRMP has some good easy stuff where you might be able to escape the crowds a bit. Check out the Gallery, Volunteer Wall and the Shire.

I've always camped at Miguel's. It can get a bit loud for some people but I sleep like a rock so it's never been a problem for me.

Have fun!
Old Gregg

Post by Old Gregg »

Miguel's is definitely awesome, but i like staying at Lago Linda's. 5 bucks a night per person and free showers. Just make sure you pay up!
You like Bailey's?
45percent

Re: Areas to crash/climb?

Post by 45percent »

jkowa693 wrote:Hey, I'm new on the boards here, and I feel that this place could have some informatoin I am looking for. I am bringing a group of 4 down to RRG for spring break. None of us have been there before, and I was wondering where to stay. A friend of mine has crashed at Miguels, and we are looking to stay there also. HOWEVER if it's crazy busy, where else can we look to camp out for fairly cheap. ALSO, the three I am bringing down are fairly new to climbing and we aren't loooking to crush 13's etc. I am a fairly solid 10b/c climber and can push through most 10's and project 11's. the other three are all climbing in the 8's and 9's. is there an area in teh gorge that has a larger concentration of these routes? I want to make this a trip for all of them to enjoy PERIOD. so if you can help me out that would be awesome. Thank You.
Miguel's will probably be busy, but it's a good scene and it's cheap. If you want more privacy, the national forest pass is $5 for 3 nights and you only need one per car. There's a bathroom at the rest area (if you don't want to dig a hole) and pay showers at Miguel's. You'll have to do some exploring to find good backcountry sites, but that's part of the fun.

Hopefully you have or are getting Ray's guidebook; it's the best guidebook I've ever used. Between the book and this site you'll have no problems finding routes at the grades you want.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

jkowa693 wrote:HAHA ya, I am aware of the forest, however the last thing I want is to make the locals mad, or get a fine? is that possible to just camp out? Cabins? thanks but no thanks.
as long as you have a parking pass ($3 a night I think) your good to go
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker