Environmental Impact of Rock Climbing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Climbing, positive or negative influence on Cliffline Ecosystems?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Positive
19%
Negative
81%

Total votes: 36

DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

then stay home :wink:
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

DriskellHR, HA! did it take you 27 minutes to think that up... it was worth every minute!
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

nice one driskell. I'm with you.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

PIG man, what??

i think the girls are getting a little upset. is it that time of the month???
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

MOB=SCIENCE FAGGOT
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
45percent

Post by 45percent »

captain static wrote:
45percent wrote:Your poll should probably include a "no impact" option. I think any impact is negative.
Would you consider a Forest Service approved hiking trail to be an impact and thus negative?
Yes; as I said, I consider any impact to be negative. That doesn't mean it's unacceptable.

Also, the poll specifically asks about cliffline ecosystems, which constitute a much smaller land area than the total gorge.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

DriskellHR, HA! did it take you 27 minutes to think that up... it was worth every minute!
Come on man you walkedright into that one. And No I am not that funny but as long as there is a smile on my face and It makes me laugh the who gives a rats ass what you think? :wink:

nice try though 8)
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
captain static

Post by captain static »

In the context of RRG I have yet to see anyone offer a valid argument on how climbing negatively impacts the cliffline ecosystem. Especially with the cliffline closures to protect White Haired Goldenrod. Forest Service documents for Daniel Boone National Forest consider the "cliffline community" to include 100' out from the top of the cliff to 200' out from the dripline at the bottom. With 320 miles of cliffline, this means 11,636 acres of cliffline community in RRG.

Since most climbs don't top out, climbing doesn't affect the top. The top is a sensitive zone with a dry environment and thin xeric soils. The bottom is a moist zone that has some capacity to absorb impact. Important ecosystem functions of the bottom of the cliff in RRG include that it provides a corridor for travel of animals and that there tend to be larger trees close to the cliffline. I don't think that climbing in RRG disrupts the travel of animals. On a rare occassion, climbing impacts might affect a large tree but the ecosystem is more than just one tree.

The bottomline, less than 2 acres of climbing impacts do not have a negative influence an 11,636 acre ecosystem.

For everyone who has responded negative to this poll I suspect that you either consciously or unconsciously see humans as being separate from nature and the ecosystem?
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
45percent

Post by 45percent »

captain static wrote:The bottomline, less than 2 acres of climbing impacts do not have a negative influence an 11,636 acre ecosystem.
But that's not what the poll is asking. You're saying the impact is acceptable, and I agree, and more importantly, the Forest Service agrees (aside from certain sections of cliff, apparently); but that impact is still negative.
captain static wrote:For everyone who has responded negative to this poll I suspect that you either consciously or unconsciously see humans as being separate from nature and the ecosystem?
Quite the opposite. We're the dominating force in all the ecosystems we inhabit, and it's in our best interest to be aware of our impact.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Help me out Piggy.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh