Environmental Impact of Rock Climbing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Climbing, positive or negative influence on Cliffline Ecosystems?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Positive
19%
Negative
81%

Total votes: 36

Josephine

Post by Josephine »

:oops:
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
toad857

Post by toad857 »

national forests were created for specific reasons.

they are resource banks. they are tree stores. they are places to put atv trails and places to kill deer. always have been, always will be!

but how can climbing have a "positive" influence on an entire ecosystem. there is no 'positive' and 'negative' when talking about an ecosystem. only when taking a distinctly human perspective will you be able to assign labels like those, which do not concern goldenrods
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

I'm curious if the study takes into consideration the terrain? Does the hiker / climber impact % grow when you consider how much of the 42,000 acres is actually accessible by foot? Or, another way to look at it is that hikers and climbers are heading to a destination. Some specific feature or viewpoint. So when compared to the whole gorge it's not that impactful.
Evan

Post by Evan »

bcombs wrote:I'm curious if the study takes into consideration the terrain? Does the hiker / climber impact % grow when you consider how much of the 42,000 acres is actually accessible by foot? Or, another way to look at it is that hikers and climbers are heading to a destination. Some specific feature or viewpoint. So when compared to the whole gorge it's not that impactful.
Maybe not, but biological impact involves more than just the soil under your feet. A quick search will reveal numerous studies on the subject.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... pic=latest

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/n ... awler=true

Also, I know of a study done a few years ago that looked at climbed and unclimbed cliffs in Linville Gorge and also at Obed. Even if you tread lightly and do not scrub and saw, high traffic areas are likely to disturb pollinators and animals that would disperse fruit (i.e. patterns of gene flow and dispersal, respectively). The erosion at the base of cliffs (and runoff) is an issue and the impact to the cliff-tops is probably the most detrimental because without them (communities on top of the cliff) populations become disconnected genetically (no need to extend this dialogue here).

I think everyone realizes they have some impact on the environment so the 'positive' option is a misnomer. Yes, I might be a nerd but it pays the bills.
Last edited by Evan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

i hate MOB for starting this thread. can we have him banned???

his impact to this site is 5 post out of 900,784,987,738,370,084 and that means his impact is .000000004736867%... ban his ass!
captain static

Post by captain static »

Here is the link to Chris Carr's thesis: http://www.ohiolink.edu/etd/view.cgi?ac ... 1178812135 the abstract and then the link to the full text. Practically, if you had walked as much of the cliffline and bushwhacked through as much of the forest as I have you would realize how much of RRG is untouched and how little recent human activities are impacting the area.

PS: Please pray or whatever you do for Chris to recover speedily from his recent heart surgery.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

Andrew wrote:I do belong in the climb and spray group. Did you see I won the golden sombrero for the week. You can check the latest routes sent and see for yourself.
Damn you, Andrew. I'd've had it if it weren't for you and your wicked games.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Rock Climbing of Environmental Impact:

Tight hands with good gear on great stone.
There is no TEAM in I
heath

Re: Environmental Impact of Rock Climbing

Post by heath »

captain static wrote:For the Red River Gorge the environmental impact from climbing is negligible. The measured area of climbing impact from the Forest Service resource inventory was 73,509 square feet (1.69 acres) in a total forest area of 42,000 acres. There is about 320 miles of cliffline in Red River Gorge. Also, where people climb in RRG there sometimes is no vegetation at the base or on the cliff. Where there are sensitive species (white-haired goldenrod, virginia big eared bat) the USFS has closed those areas to all recreation.

If it would be helpful I could send you a file of Chris Carr's Masters Thesis about climbing impacts in RRG. Send me an e-mail, Bill Strachan - bill(at)rrgcc.org
MOB wrote:I'm also looking for info such as, total amount land secured for climbing (conservation) in Red River Gorge through organizations such as RRGCC, Access fund...
If you consider "secured" to be where climbing is explicitly allowed:

Public Land

42,000 acres - Red River Gorge (Limits of Acceptable Change Area)

Privately Owned Land

750 acres - Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve (RRCGG)
400 acres - Muir Valley Nature Preserve and Climbing Arena
80 acres - Graining Fork Nature Preserve (Roadside)
80 acres- Torrent Falls
1,310 acres - Total
+1.5 acres Opossum Crag
1,315.5 -Total
"You're a long way from home now, Buddy" - Ted kindly pointing out a ran out mess.
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Thanks Capt. for the link. started in on the first 100 pgs last night. It's interesting stuff ( and the whole research paper thing just brings back shivers of college days)