Drill Doctor

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Josephine

Drill Doctor

Post by Josephine »

A drill bit costs about $20 and doesn't last all that long. The Drill Dr. costs $100 and supposedly sharpens drill bits "like new."

So - has anyone actually used it? Does it really work? It seems like the cost savings would be worth it to sharpen old bits rather than keep buying new. I'm a bit skeptical and the sales person said it worked great for wood bits but didn't know about how well it would work for drilling into rock.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Josie, as a rule of thumb stay away from any product that utilizes Dr., Master, or life-like in its name or description. Brought to you by Dr consumer-watch, the Master and most life-like protector of those who desire to be an american Idiot
ynot

Post by ynot »

The point of concrete and rock bits is completely different from wood and metal bits that the drill doc was designed for.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

well - this was the only review i could find that said anything about masonary bits
Now the real test - a masonry bit. I selected a 1/8" bit with a carbide tip that would not cut through a piece of concrete. I was really hesitant to even try sharpening it on the Drill Doctor for fear of ruining the sharpening wheel. Did not even attempt to sharpen on the Makita. Well the alignment of the bit in the sharpening chuck is not very precise. However, I did sharpen it with just two turns and it cut right through the concrete. It really does work and with very little skill. I decided this was enough testing. My sons and I will be sharpening all of our drill bits over the winter. I have already purchased a replacement grinding wheel because this machine will stay in my shop for a long time. Thanks to the developers for a great machine that any "shop guy" would like to have
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive0 ... sharp.html

but that was a 1/8" bit, which is quite a bit smaller than the bits used for drilling rock.

i supposed that if it really worked as well as it claims one of the really active developers or team suck would be using it already.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Wes

Post by Wes »

There is a place that will resharpen bits for $8.00, I think. We have a bunch to try to take over sometime this winter. Never heard of the drill dr. thing, so no idea if it is good or not.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

what bit costs 20 dollars.

1/2 SDS bits for bolting have only cost me 6 bucks.
Living the dream
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

car 10k, hooker $40 happy ending: priceless
Wes

Post by Wes »

Andrew wrote:what bit costs 20 dollars.

1/2 SDS bits for bolting have only cost me 6 bucks.
If you are using 4 3/4 bolts, you need a 10" or 12" inch bit, and those are pricey.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

I bought one for my dad for X-mas. He and I are not impressed. I would not buy one
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The 10" at the place by the museum are only $8
Living the dream