peregrine falcons?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

Several of the bridges over the Ohio around here have them. Sucks that the closed the walk ways on one of the more popular bridges to walk because of this.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
sgauss

Post by sgauss »

Jay wrote:Never at the Red, got buzzed by one on the 3rd flatiron, though- scared the crap outta me!
That's my experience with falcons, also. You're climbing along, and then you hear "pppppfffffffffffttttttt" as a falcon goes diving past!
captain static

Post by captain static »

From the DBNF website -
The American peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus anatum) is being returned to its natural environment among the towering cliffs of the Red River Gorge Geological Area on Cumberland Ranger District. These rare, spectacular birds once soared above Kentucky’s cliff-lined forests, until their disappearance from the state for more than half a century. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, the University of Kentucky, and the Forest Service are working together to restore peregrine falcon populations in Kentucky.

The restoration process is called "hacking." Young falcons are received as nestlings from falcon breeders and taken to sites chosen for their release. Nestlings are nurtured at their release site until ready to fly. During this time the young birds are imprinted by their surrounding environment. Peregrine falcons typically return to habitats similar in appearance to their initial place of flight.

Peregrine falcons released in the Red River Gorge may one day return to nest and reproduce in this region of the Commonwealth. The return of the peregrine falcon will provide the public with a renewed opportunity for wildlife viewing, to once again observe the magnificent flight of peregrine falcons across Kentucky’s open skies.
I believe that I heard one of their biologists mention that competition with owls might lessen the chances of success for this project.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
captain static

Post by captain static »

Forgot about that word filter :lol:
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

woodchuck008 wrote:Pretty bird, fast bird. We got 'em living on ledges of skyscrapers in downtown Chicago. Several each year.
Wow, it would suck having to close down a whole skyscraper. How do people deal with that?

These darn birds! We can't win for losing, they just decide to nest wherever and us humans have to get over it. It's not fair! I mean, we have guns. Why do we have to put up with it?
There is no TEAM in I
KD

Post by KD »

Ascentionist wrote:
woodchuck008 wrote:Pretty bird, fast bird. We got 'em living on ledges of skyscrapers in downtown Chicago. Several each year.
Wow, it would suck having to close down a whole skyscraper. How do people deal with that?

These darn birds! We can't win for losing, they just decide to nest wherever and us humans have to get over it. It's not fair! I mean, we have guns. Why do we have to put up with it?
I'm fine their nesting and all and even giving them space to do so but dont close a mile of cliffline when the bird only need 500 feet or so. i saw the feds close miles of outer banks beach for one bird to lay eggs. There is no way that bird needed miles of room. She never had that in nature. nature is a crowded place when you look at it. It's when the feds go overboard and close this and close that that i think isn't right. same thing with caves - indians built fires in them and stayed in them for years with no threat to bats - in modern time wyandote cave has had thousands of indiana bats all over the ceilings above the tours. all sharing the same space. then the govt decides that the whole cave has to be closed all winter. it's overbearing sometimes.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Saw them a couple times at fortress after they released them. And a time or two in NC and out west. Cool birds, very fast! I think there are a pair or two in Downtown Lexington as well.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
heath

Post by heath »

"You're a long way from home now, Buddy" - Ted kindly pointing out a ran out mess.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Sloopy wrote:
Andrew wrote:Never have, and hope I never do.

One time at moore's wall in NC, when I was hang doggin the right variation of Zeus (13c)
Right. Because the route being 13c has everything to do with seeing the bird. :P
It's called subtle spray - he does that a lot.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I am getting good, aren't I.
Living the dream