gun

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

LK, you got that right. Just to 'show' the gun is a mighty strong warning. Worked for me when someone was gonna jack my car when I was alone at Black Mt. in Tenn. a couple years ago. From about 40 yards I appeared from the woods, I just opened up my loose button shirt to show the shoulder holster, reached across and patted it. He backed up, got in the truck and boogie'd out of there fast. (but it was the .45 too). Says something for the open gun laws of Arizona.
trog

Post by trog »

good points guys, my thinking also
1. any reliable gun you are comfortable and confident with is good for self defence
2. .22 is good for me because of above and the fact that 8 .22 rounds are going to be a serious discouragement to anyone except the most cranked meth-head - that's who the police have to be armed for
ancient gumby,
whatsa gumby?
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

..and me, ...for the meth heads living next door, of course. The ever going downhill neighborhood is why I'm armed to the teeth in every room, with hidden guns and cases of ammo for each. Makes for a peaceful day and night. Welcome to the big city real world away from climbing and nature.
ElectricDisciple

Post by ElectricDisciple »

i like my .270 Rem 700. I'll be getting a pistol next year for CCW and have enjoyed reading the pistol comments. BTW, any you gun toters NRA members?
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Of course I am. In fact, I just checked out a free dealer DVD with some awesome stunt shooting old dude, who could hand toss 8 clays and nail them all with his semi auto Benelli shotgun. Talk about rapid fire! One handed. Over his head upside down. Behind his back. The field had like a huge pile of shells at one end, and busted up orange clays at the other. How's that fit in with the 'green' revolution today?
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

woodchuck008 wrote:..... Says something for the open gun laws of Arizona.
KY is an open carry state as well.....

Tom Knapp is the Benelli shooter.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
pru

Post by pru »

I am an experienced shooter. First picked up a gun when I was 9 years old (at bible camp, much to my mother's horror). I have a CCDW and am an excellent shot. I once pulled a gun on someone during a home invasion but didn't fire. In retrospect, I wish I had, but I was very young at the time. If I am ever again in a situation where I feel that I need my gun for protection, I will not be "showing it" in the hopes that it is a deterrent, I will be using it because "I was in fear for my life." (<--memorize that statement) I personally think it's foolish to carry a gun and think that just having and showing it will protect you. Professionals agree. Learn how to use it, and be prepared to shoot & kill someone if you are under a threat that justifies deadly force and talking isn't getting you anywhere. Do not display your gun and hope it will diffuse the situation. That's the worst advice ever.
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

Pru,
I never suggested that one should show a gun in order to scare off an attacker. One should only pull a gun when they feel like it is necessary in order to defend innocent life. It is simply a fact that most predators will think of a better place to be once they see that their intended victim is armed. While I'm no expert on the law, I'm pretty sure that, in most jurisdictions, if one were to shoot a criminal after they have broken off their attack, the shooter would now be the guilty party, guilty of assault with a deadly weapon at least, and possibly murder. I would never suggest that someone do something that is clearly illegal simply because they think they can get away with it by making a disingenuous statement to the police.
ynot

Post by ynot »

shoes
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
pru

Post by pru »

Larry, you are such a jackass. I was clear that deadly force must be justified. Duh

The laws regarding what justifies the use of deadly force are very specific, and they vary by state. Trained shooters know these laws, and they also know that you not only need to be in fear for your life to justify shooting someone, but you damn well better include that in your statement to the police or you will be in deep doo-doo.

If you are in a situation where you are able to flash your gun and make the bad guy run away, you are not under deadly threat. Remove yourself from the situation instead of acting like a cowboy. Displaying your gun in the hopes of diffusing a situation is stupid as shit. If you do that, you are more likely than not overreacting to whatever is happening. You either need the gun, or you don't.
climbing is dumb

~ Sandy