Gear Storage

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
marathonmedic

Gear Storage

Post by marathonmedic »

Hi all. Long time, no see. I know it's tacky to show up and ask a question, but here goes.

We moved into a smaller house and my camping/climbing gear is taking up most of my new office. The camping gear will probably get stored in the attic but I'm wondering about the climbing stuff. Anybody have any experience storing camping or climbing gear in sub-freezing temperatures? I'm assuming it would be a bad idea but wanted to check with people far wiser than myself. Thx.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
KD

Post by KD »

cold isnt bad but heat and uv are. keep it in a cool dark place for the nylon stuff. Avoid the garage kind of places
FujManiac

Post by FujManiac »

you might want to consider keeping it in something "mouse proof" as well - your rope and webbing anyway
caribe

Post by caribe »

subfreezing isn't going to harm nylon. definitely make your storage scheme critter-proof.
Last edited by caribe on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

No attic, it may get too hot. Big giant Rubbermaid tubs with tight lids hold alot. And you can get those mega sized XXXL zip-loc bags for storage too. You can stuff them tight with lots of clothes or software and tuck it away then. My stuff is often in tubs, stacked up to the ceiling in the garage until the next season of use.(Rock gear vs my ice tools gear). And a nice dryer softner sheet in there keeps it fresh too.
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

Cold shouldn't hurt anything as long as you can control condensation. Definitely avoid attic heat. In Alaska people store off-season gear in galvanized steel garbage cans with tight fitting lids because they are mouse proof. It's important that sleeping bags are stored rather loosely, as storing them stuffed will cause them to lose their loft.
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

IF you have the closet space, hang the bags there in a plastic dry cleaners bag, or in a well ventilated, finished basement storage area. Beats crushing them down for months. Mice, heat, and dampness are the worst enemies for storage. For foods, cycle out the old to use up, and replace new in a few months for your getaway meal bags.
p0bray01

Post by p0bray01 »

Yeah I have a gear closet. Love it...I clip all my gear from the clothing racks inside and hang my sleeping bag over the top of the bar as well. I second what WoodChuck says. Plus if you ever decide to do a quick trip just un clip whatcha need and throw it in the pack. 8)
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

IF I clean out my basement closet area, I should have room to hang my lead gear racks there for quick access. But they are bulky and take up lots of space and need really strong hooks due to the weight. At least 5 racks sorted. Old trad stuff like hexcentrics and stoppers, new nuts and stoppers. 50 cams sorted out on 2 more racks by sizes; all sorts of designs, no complete set of one make. And about 60 QD's of various lengths on a daisy chain. Another 40 or so biners on the big wall rack of pins and stuff. Imagine hanging 60 lbs of metal from harness loops. I live by the over the shoulder trad sling rack for sure. Don't even get me started on shoes.......but they store good in those giant zip loc bags.
ynot

Post by ynot »

A big rubbermaid bin with wheels in the basement works for me.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney