How did you learn climbing safety techniques?

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

How did you learn outdoor climbing safety techniques?

From a friend.
39%
From a book.
16%
From a class given at a rock gym.
3%
From a class given by a university outdoor program.
No votes
From one on one instruction with a professional guide.
10%
From group instruction given by professional guides or an outdoor school such as NOLS or Outward Bound.
6%
Other or combination. Explain.
26%

Total votes: 62

pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

rhunt wrote:For all of you who learned from trial and error and near-death experiences, thanks for traumatizing me for the past 15 years. I am still in therapy for all the times I walked by the mr bungles wall at left flank in the late 90's.

this coming from the guy who was also traumatized because his mentor was old skool trad, and therefore never got "going for it" on a sport route. seems to me to not be a perfect trade off.

anyone got some daisy chains and lockers I can rig thru my harness to do an exchange at the anchors? :D
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
gymrat

Post by gymrat »

Friends - mainly old school trad climbrs that enjoy sloging up mountains in their spare time

Books - so I could call BS if someone told me something that didn't make any sense to me

Class at gym - when I first started to lead, the instructor who taught me was willing to answer my questions on safety and cragging etiquette.

Common sense - I'm an engineer, so a lot of "number stuff and technical problem solving" comes easily to me. :roll:
captain static

Post by captain static »

Thanks everyone for your comments and keep them coming. A lot of disclaimers advise climbers to, "... seek professional instruction ..." before climbing outdoors and I wanted to get an idea from this bbs of how many people actually have.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
trog

Post by trog »

what book do you learn offwidth technique from?
i need that book
ancient gumby,
whatsa gumby?
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Awe piggy you're just sore because I redpointed Mr. bungle before you did. Dude you got to let that go that was like 5 years ago now...
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
512OW

Post by 512OW »

trog wrote:what book do you learn offwidth technique from?
i need that book
It was actually a magazine article by Steve Petro.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
ahab

Post by ahab »

speaking of offwidth, there's this crack coming out of a cave at lost ridge left of 'wide pride' that is begging to be...nvr mind. nobody climbs that shit.
buy the Ticket take the Ride
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Agent Orange. It needs Agent Orange.
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
ahab

Post by ahab »

to expose feet? alot of lines need AO at first...that or some masochistic freaks armed w/ gigantic gear & brushes.
buy the Ticket take the Ride
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Brushes? We never brushed a damn thing.
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com