Olympics

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
peteypablo

Olympics

Post by peteypablo »

So found out that whitewater kayaking is an olympic sport, why not climbing? wondering everyones views/opinions. heres some of my views,
this sport is participated by thousands around the world. every country has climbers this might be what every climber is against because climbing is all about ourselves and fuck everyone else, but really think about how much this sport or lifestyle dominates peoples lives. I think it would be a great addition to the olympics and besides iam tired of watching swimming, the only negative would be watching people climb plastic, if this topic has been discussed tough shit
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

huh
Living the dream
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

I have a headache..

But I must say, Phelps reminds me of you, Andrew. Ridiculous height, ridiculous reach, he's a freak for sure.
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

There are all many too many crappy sports in the olympics.

For the record, I think swimming is dumb. Why don't they have forwards, backwards, and sideways running? Because it would be stupid...just like swimming.
Wes

Post by Wes »

While there might be some *dumb* sports, you have to respect the work it takes to get there. Seriously. The ave. olympic athlete makes even the higher end climbers look like lazy ass couch potatoes. And the really good ones? Just amazing to watch. I have spent a bit of time over the last couple years photographing collage gymnastics, and the difference between even really good collage gymnasts and the ones on the olympics is just amazing. The olympians just have soooo much more power and precision.

And, as a side note, I never understood why climbers have so much animosity toward more traditional sports and athletes. I maybe even was that way for a while, but not so much anymore. I have a lot of respect for the work they put in.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

I think Kris has made a good point about this many times-- it's boring to watch good climbers after awhile, since they make everything look like 5.9. I have a better time watching gymnastics and even swimming (I can't lie-- I've been excited every time Phelps has won, even though it's a given) because I don't experience those all the time. Watching someone I don't really know do something I do all the time just doesn't get me all that psyched. The exception is watching climbing DVDs in Ray and Michelle's gym.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
Myke Dronez

Post by Myke Dronez »

Is climbing a sport?
The only escape is up.
poser

Post by poser »

Myke Dronez wrote:Is climbing a sport?
No...climbing is an <i>addiction</i>.
May your dreams defy gravity....
poser

Post by poser »

*grin*
Last edited by poser on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May your dreams defy gravity....
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

Wes wrote:The ave. olympic athlete makes even the higher end climbers look like lazy ass couch potatoes. And the really good ones? Just amazing to watch.
Really? Softball players? Kayakers? Curlers? While I won't argue that some of the athletes are amazing to watch. And many are in truly amazing shape. Gymnasts, weight lifters, track and field, swimmers, etc. are truly excellent examples of what is possible with enough training and desire. But, elite climbers, not the local talent, are also in amazing shape. Some of the Olympic venues definitively require skill, but not necessarily exemplary physicality (volleyball, table tennis). While no one should argue that elite climbing requires both extreme physicality as well as skill.

My guess is that, like Yasi said, climbing is a "sport" that is difficult to make exciting to watch unless you are either directly involved or have done it before. In addition, the most exciting to watch for climbers is probably sick bouldering, the average Joe wouldn't "get it" at all. I guess there just isn't enough drama for our entertain me now society.

But, then again, I could just be spouting crap, as usual.
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard