Guiding Services in the Red River Gorge

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
caribe

Post by caribe »

Ascentionist wrote:and it's what soured my appetite for being a part of the RRG "community."
Spragwa wrote:The thing about being part of a close-knit community is that you get all of the traits of being in a family.
Spragwa, well-said. I was thinking the same thing when those three neighbors were bickering publicly.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I didn't really see it that way. People seem to hold grudges too long and let rumors and hearsay (and ridiculous RRC posts) drive wedges between them.
There is no TEAM in I
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ascentionist, that sounds like some families I know.

You can't choose your family, but you can choose your community. Except that you can't totally choose your climbing community because its a free country and by golly anyone can come climb in the Red River Gorge 'cause its public land. Then there is private land. You could have your own private club on private property and choose your own climbing community. Shoot you could have private land and start a private gardening club community. Or dog grooming communtiy. Or start a community of folks who train monkeys to herd cats. Or a comunity of Advanced D&D gamers. Or a community of idiots, like me.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
krampus

Post by krampus »

How about a dog sitting community so I can climb at muir again.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Almost shaved my dog- happened just the other day
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Steve wrote:Ascentionist, that sounds like some families I know.

You can't choose your family, but you can choose your community. Except that you can't totally choose your climbing community because its a free country and by golly anyone can come climb in the Red River Gorge 'cause its public land.
Very true. And don't think I harbor only bitter memories of climbing (and living most of my life) in the RRG. I don't, but I did truly come to hate the "scene" there. I had lots of great friends, but just didn't like the overall feel of the place after a few years.

I must admit, I contributed myself at times. I was immature, territorial and I still can't relate well to all you crazy people. I guess I'm just antisocial by nature and all social function or dysfunction is hard for me to digest.

I like not being part of any scene though. I've started cycling a lot more and have toyed with the idea of joining some local cycling club, but every time I think about it I see someone decked out in their team jersey almost knocking grandma on her cruiser off the bike path and I decide I'd rather just be my own team.

I guess that's why the last few years I climbed in the Red I primarily rope soloed. And I was happiest in my marathon solo bouldering forays.

Wait! Maybe it's me.

Nah! It must be all of you.
There is no TEAM in I
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

BTW, check out my latest solo adventure: biking Mount Evans Road from Echo Lake. Mt Evans is the highest paved road in NA and gains 4,000' or so in 14 miles. I had it to myself on July 4th with a semi-alpine start.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ascentionis ... itBikeRide

My long term goal is to do my first century ride from my home in Denver to Evans' summit and back which gains about 9,000'.

I'm definitely not ready for that yet, but hopefully soon.
There is no TEAM in I
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Awwww......look at you! :D
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
heidiramma

Post by heidiramma »

They're not corn rows, just multiple mini-mohawks. :wink:
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

YES! That's it!
There is no TEAM in I