Guiding Services in the Red River Gorge

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
Eric Cox

Post by Eric Cox »

WOW!!
All the drama is just too much for me to bear!!
For the record...
If anybody has seen my photograph on the Muir Valley website titled,
Eric Cox- Rock Guide, I am not, ever have ever been, or ever will be a Rock Guide at Muir Valley. Nothing would make me happier than to not see that there anymore!
Climbing should be fun and all of this really makes me sad. Guiding is way too much of a pain in the ass for me to deal with. Let these young folks that can climb hard do that. I do much better for myself building things. I will at anytime be there for the local guide services if there is need for my services RRO and TNO.
I am here now because of my love for a couple that has lost so much but still refuses to quit. If anybody wants to see something that will inspire you, please stop by and look at this A-Frame that Matt, Amy and I have just finished. By far, this is the best woodworking that I have done in my life and I have been at this for almost fourty years now. We started with a huge pile of what looked to be scrap wood and finished with the nicest cabin in this area. After having everything you own go up in flames and then rise up out of the ashes to build something like this really says something for the quality of people that I am working for.
Wait until you people see what is coming next!!
Rotarypwr345704

Post by Rotarypwr345704 »

Hmm... Rick owns the land that is known as Muir Valley. He allows ALL OF US to come onto HIS property to climb. And any of you have the audacity to complain about what he decides to do on HIS property? Just seems funny to me...
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
spook

Post by spook »

rotar, sorry you missed the point.

This is simply not neighborly. Rick has a cool piece of property, and some cool routes, and even a cool thought that he is giving to the community... But he has more money than the Beatles, and simply not thinking about the implications of his "generosity".

Offering free guiding in the gorge can only be seen as an agenda.
kneebar

Post by kneebar »

"Those of you with complaints have friends who run restaurants or work in the food service business. Does that mean you shouldn't be allowed to invite guests to your home for dinner?"

Rick,

That is the lamest comparison I have ever heard, here is one that might be a little closer.

Printer "A" opens a print shop, working on a shoe-string budget. Another successful printer "B" puts up a billboard in front of the struggling Printer "A"'s shop offering "free" printing (check the website for details).

We all know how generous you and Liz are......you let us know every time something like this happens. I for one am very impressed with your constant giving to the climbers (seriously, tuely amazing). I am certain you worked your ass off for years and you don't have unending funds for climbers.

Your original post was not well thought out, obviously you agree since you edited it. But your retort.......lame dude!

Ken
spook

Post by spook »

KneeBar, I agree.

Can someone pat me on the back for the breakfasts that I bought from RRO, the trail work I have helped with for the RRGCC, and the overall light that my presence gives off? I cant seem to reach it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Rotarypwr345704

I'm just wondering what kind of an agenda you're proposing?
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
spook

Post by spook »

Really? You asking for specifics? I wasnt proposing anything, but in general, here is a life lesson for the masses.

When someone offers something to another person, there are only a few things they can anticipate happening: (1) the offering will be graciously accepted, as the offering is of value to the individual, (2) the serial reciprocity will in-turn be more valuable than the original offering, (3) the offerer will, in return, gain payment or gratification of the offer.

This may not be a complete list, but should cover the majority of offers, or gifts. I would like to propose that I was not proposing anything specific, other than the obvious; Rick has some cool rock in which he allows dirtbag, in-considerate, climbers to crawl on his property. So thinking specifically, I will also propose that Rick is offering his rock for number (1) above.

Thanks Rick
Rotarypwr345704

Offering free guiding in the gorge can only be seen as an agenda.
Sure sounded like you were proposing something to me. I'm just unsure how you can make a claim and have no supporting evidence for that claim? Case in point, you last post. And then Rick has created an area on his land that he allows guiding businesses to come in and use so they can make money. And wait, could it be? For FREE? Sounds like entitled climbers to me. But in any case, no use arguing because if this all I have to worry about, I have a pretty good life :) I won't be visiting this post again as it is a waste of time, but it's a bummer some people can't be happy with what they have :(

Rick thanks for all that you have done and the time you have put in around the area to make it what it is :)

spook

Post by spook »

Rick has bought some cool land and lets climbers climb on it. We are all appreciative for that.

But yes, young arrogant stupid strong climbers think they are entitled. (insert commas where you want).
rockman

Post by rockman »

spook wrote:Rick has bought some cool land and lets climbers climb on it. We are all appreciative for that.

But yes, young arrogant stupid strong climbers think they are entitled. (insert commas where you want).
Have to agree with the above.