Guiding Services in the Red River Gorge

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
weber

Guiding Services in the Red River Gorge

Post by weber »

edited
Last edited by weber on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
RRO

Post by RRO »

really ?
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
kneebar

Post by kneebar »

wow that really sucks for the guides trying to make a living................but good for the gumbies.
rockman

Post by rockman »

I thought RRO was still guiding as their source of income?
Wow..
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Yah thats cool, how about a free pizza place or free cabins to stay in.....
Its all about Style....
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Why do I see a group of frat boys looking at Rick with glazed eyes realizing that can't comprehend a word he says?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
weber

Post by weber »

Liz and I have supported local professional guide services. In Muir Valley, they are provided with free special vehicle passes for convenience to them and their clients. I've personally supported RRO by volunteering my time and donating materials during their '07 U-Climb event. We've also made several personal donations at their time of hardship. I've volunteered for several TNO events and activities. I have helped sponsor an AMGA trainer coming to the Gorge several times in the past couple years to train professional guides and, with Jim Taylor's help, created a training area in Muir to be used at no charge for the purpose of training and certifying local guides.

Those of you with complaints have friends who run restaurants or work in the food service business. Does that mean you shouldn't be allowed to invite guests to your home for dinner?

I have no intention of hurting the local guide services.

My occasional personal guiding - perhaps three or four times a year - should not significantly impact professional guide services in the Red.

Rick
kneebar wrote:wow that really sucks for the guides trying to make a living................but good for the gumbies.
spook

Post by spook »

RRO, I can come over for dinner?
RRO

Post by RRO »

In the 8 years or so I have been part of this Internet climbing thing I dont think I have ever posted a pm to or from me. I am going to on this topic. A lot of people have pm'd me asking about the post, others have emailed, rick and i shared a pm. I have more on my plate than I can even put into words and will not waste anymore time on this and will not be brought into an Internet drama/political pissing match.

Rick,
below is a response to you and what i am going to post. this will be my last post on this topic and will not get into a internet drama war. i wish you luck with whatever it is you are doing and thank you for your support shown to us in the past.

in regards to people not getting a hold of us. cell phone service is what it is around here. we dont have a store phone anymore.if they leave a voice mail we call everyone back, even more when they want to give us money.

this does and will hurt TNO, RRO and guiding in general. just the fact that free guiding is available and now the newbies and people that may want a guide looking on the internet will think thats the norm. people will not want to pay what we as business owners have to get out of it to pay insurance and so on.

taking people out to climb is awesome, advertising as a guide service is just taking it too far. its your land, i hope you get the best out of it.

on a personal note any trips lost hurt right now rick. its not a secret we got hit hard and are in trouble and doing all we can for cash. this may be a hobby for you but trips are how we eat.

i have always supported and took up for you and the valley. actions like this and without even mentioning why and when you were doing it shows the loyality, friendship and common courtesy you have for us.

i will not be arguing, getting into an internet drama war. i do not have time for that, i am running a business. you have to do what you feel you have to do.

again, i will not be posting on this topic again. i wanted to respond to your pm and to your post.

matt
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
weber

Post by weber »

RRO wrote: ...this does and will hurt TNO, RRO and guiding in general. just the fact that free guiding is available and now the newbies and people that may want a guide looking on the internet will think thats the norm. people will not want to pay what we as business owners have to get out of it to pay insurance and so on...
matt
Matt,

Thank you for your thoughts and concerns.

I don't think that my 3 or 4 guiding sessions per year will have a significant impact on your business. What I had not considered, and you brought to my attention, is that announcing it as "free" on RRC.com might impact the perceived market value of professional guiding services, such as those offered by RRO, TNO, and Torrent. So, I've edited my post accordingly.

I think we should remember that, from time to time and in certain circumstances, most local professional guides have guided for free.

Rick