talking to gumbies

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
der uber

Post by der uber »

pru wrote:the old standby "the last guy I saw who did that died" is usually an attention getter. Even better, leave it at that, and leave. Good times.
meadows wrote: Back to the original poster on this topic ... Josie ... it's hit or miss with people. Take concern if you so choose, and some will be responsive, others will not. The most effective approach I've seen (and worked on me) is questioning people about possible scenarios should such and such fail. It takes skill and knowledge on your own part, but it doesn't offend the intellect/experience of a person. It gets them thinking and hopefully concerned and receptive to your ideas.

Easier said than done though - I'm far too abrasive and impatient for that kind of approach.
2 great posts.
tutugirl

Post by tutugirl »

Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.
MSMITH

Post by MSMITH »

"You can't get angry about it, you have to cry." -Yasmeen
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

so how were you folks treated when you were starting out?? i read and tried not to be a retard but i'm sure i had moments. most of my early mentors were pretty quiet towards me, patient and helpful but they let me learn; other than safety shit.
that and i mimiced what i saw around me, knowing somewhat of what was safe and what was not.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
MSMITH

Post by MSMITH »

I learned in the gym how to clean a route, how to safely clip a bolt, how to not trash a crag, ruin hardware, etc....
"You can't get angry about it, you have to cry." -Yasmeen
Danny

Post by Danny »

anticlmber wrote:so how were you folks treated when you were starting out?? i read and tried not to be a retard but I'm sure i had moments. most of my early mentors were pretty quiet towards me, patient and helpful but they let me learn; other than safety shit.
that and i mimiced what i saw around me, knowing somewhat of what was safe and what was not.
if someone would have politely suggested that I was doing something wrong I would have probably beat them to death with a cam and buried them in the woods. but if it was anticlimber I probably would have fondled his doodles.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

sweet.

so, if you, uh, woke up naked in the woods with astro-glide on your but would you tell anyone??

wanna go camping??
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Danny

Post by Danny »

when I went pee, I heard it say for shizzle
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

MSMITH wrote:I learned in the gym how to clean a route, how to safely clip a bolt, how to not trash a crag, ruin hardware, etc....
I'm calling Shenanigans. What gym teaches LNT ethics?
FujManiac

Post by FujManiac »

I feel like there are so many negative feelings toward "gumby's." We've all been there, and I appreciated (appreciate) when people say something to me when I had done something wrong etc.
and at what point do you become "experienced?" or not a gumby? We're all "gumbies" to someone else who has more experience.

I guess I haven't had to many bad experiences with 'gumbies" (maybe because I still consider myself one :lol: ) I will continue to offer helpful advice and suggestions when i see people doing thigns wrong etc. it's the only way to learn and do it safely.