Putzing Around

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
redpointron

Post by redpointron »

pigsteak wrote:steve, I do...training for a late sept. marathon. as I age, only four days a week of running can I handle.
as you age, more sound like yoda you do... :roll:
charlie

Post by charlie »

pigsteak wrote:.....charlie is too level headed and rounded for me, so I always ignore his advice. besides, it usually makes sense, and what fun is there in that?.....
Valid point. There is very little danger of fun around me. :)
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

Piggie try to pretend that you are so boring that without climbing I am nothing. there is an obsessive aspect to climbing but it is lame to assume that without climbing there is nothing to do. you love right side of the political spectrum so you should be driving your hummer to church and throwing rocks at people getting abortions. get back to your roots.
"I just want to disappear"
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

masturbation, the cure for boredom.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
tutugirl

Post by tutugirl »

Clean the mess in the garage...that should take a few months.
Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

Wow, piggie, I think tutugirl just took a low blow at your bouldering gym...
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

Get a heavy (punching) bag. Most climbers should have a naturally strong punch since a lot of punching stength and whip comes from strong forearms.
Spending your free time learning form and practicing could allow you to find a little balance and not make you feel singularly focused. Not only will you find pleasure in knowing you can knock the normal man out in one punch, but the next time some young gumby starts acting a la douche you can knock'em out at the crag before they hurt themselves for not understanding the risks in rock climbing. Those rockclimbing "gods," AKA Sharma and others at par with him, really won't seem so big either.
Finding pleasure in other parts of life besides climbing and climbing related things might not make you feel so bored.
If you don't like the punching idea, till up your yard and plant a garden. That way can pretend to like "joy" gardening like the rest of the suburbanites.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
krampus

Post by krampus »

when I can't climb, I turn to violence :evil: Actually, I think I would enjoy martial arts better than a punching bag. Too bad Gunslngr lives in ohio.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

It depends on what sort of martial arts you take too. The days of karate actually being useful is long gone. I would put a white-belt Brazilian Jui-Jitsu up agianst any first degree black-belt karate practitioner. I would put any amatuer boxer agianst the same too, and I would say ten out of ten times it would be the karate guys ass being handed to him.
If you don't believe me watch the first 5 UFC tournaments and see how fast the karate guys go down.
In a real street fight karate stands no chance. (Neither do rock climbing skills). ( I just put that in there to make this rant somewhat relevant to the subject of this thread).
Climbing .14s might make you have a bighead. But that's about it, it doesn't transfer much farther than that in life.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

You should check out the USMC martial arts program. They kick some ass!! although the only way to learn is to enlist so...........
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker