Caver's, alternate finish?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I did it with a buddy, my wife and my dad and it wasn't too bad. They all got through the real tight spot but I just went out more towards the front of the wall (away from the middle) and it was easy and I had plenty of room. My buddy went stright through the real tight spot though and I couldn't fit, so I just unclipped and climbed to the top and let my wife deal with getting the gear. We also had another guy with us though who started crying because he got stuck, so whatever. I didn't think it was that bad and neither did my dad and that was his first and only time climbing.
FujManiac

Post by FujManiac »

do you really need a double rope to rappel or is there a way around that?
Danny

Post by Danny »

there are many ways around that. it's fun to rap into the chimney and do the squeeze. you can drop your harness just before the squeeze for more pleasure.
CLIMBTRAD

Post by CLIMBTRAD »

we have done the direct finish had to take off helmet my chin and back of head touch both walls no pro. but easy
Rebolting the RED one stainless steel glue in bolt at a time!!
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I followed Steve Freas up it eons ago. He soloed it.

We rapped down through that slot and I've used it as my Tower rappel ever since. In fact, it's my favorite rappel in the Red. You're completely free hanging once you get free of hte chimney and you're way up there.

You can do it with a 60m for sure.
There is no TEAM in I
kato

Post by kato »

Ascentionist-
That's funny, that's who I watched doing it last weekend. I would say I belayed him, but although the rope was tied to him and came down to me where I held it in a belay device, I can't quite bring myself to call it a belay.
No chalkbag since 1995.
ynot

Post by ynot »

The gear on cavers might keep you from decking but not from a nasty ledge fall so you might as well solo it.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Gear just gets in the way, don't bother bringing it, you won't use it.
"Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy." - Homer Simpson
Myke Dronez

Post by Myke Dronez »

Words of wisdom- I brought gear up this thing and cussed it the whole way. I had all that shit trailing on the rope behind me by the end- Felt pretty dumb :roll:
The only escape is up.