what makes a gumby

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

pigsteak wrote:and getting that tat put you Waaaaaay over the top :wink:
hee hee :P
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

some of my observations.

having very little idea of what you are doing and still bringing a group of others like you.
thinking that because others don't do it your way, they are a gumby
using the word gumby makes you one
being able to spout off every little blurb from a mag and talking about it like you were there
over-spray of just about anything
ONLY talking climbing, maybe not gumby but F'n lame as shit
believing that you know it all to the point you get complacent and stop learning thereby leading to a "beginners" mistake
taking this funny little game too seriously and thinking that anybody doing it for "fun" is a worthless liar and just doesn't want to try

these are some of the things that i believe are being instilled in the newer folks as acceptable because they see it from the old guards. our community(of all climbers) will never stand a chance if we don't stArt acting like a community again and treating each other like we want to be treated.
but what do i know, i just climb because it's fun.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
512OW

Post by 512OW »

anticlmber wrote: our community(of all climbers) will never stand a chance if we don't stArt acting like a community again and treating each other like we want to be treated.
but what do i know, i just climb because it's fun.
Once upon a time we acted like a community?
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i remember when being a "climber" ment that you liked that other person first and would do things because of that shared intrest. it still exists but noit as much or in force. i think of the random houses i've been invited to the meals i've been brought to, and the sharing of ropes/equipment/belays whatever. now it seems more like steppiong on or over is the norm for most.

yeah there are dicks out there but i wait to see if they are a dick not assume they are.

we still have a community of sorts and it's full of WONDERFUL people but i know there is distain and bitterness in the group for others in the group. thats fine its life. its when i see this disdain fired first at someone just entering the community. like they have to prove themselves first.

maybe because i climbed with patient, understanding, and amazing people who didn't care how hard you/they/anyone pulled. they just enjoyed sharing in your happiness or at the least sharing what made them happy. we all start somewhere and we definatly all end somewhere. the in-between shoildn't be total suck-ass. especially from someone that i share a passion with.

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
krampus

Post by krampus »

anticlmber, when did you become a vagina?
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

its interesting that the term gumby was being used WAY before most people even knew about climbing.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

I'm so old I remember when it was exciting just see another climber(s) in the Red, change is the only certainty I guess.
caribe

Post by caribe »

Gen 2: 4.

4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made earth and heaven.
5 Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no GUMBY to cultivate the ground.
6 But a mist used to rise from the earth and water the whole surface of the ground.
7 Then the LORD God formed a GUMBY of dust from the ground and a little plastic, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the GUMBY became a living being.
8 The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the GUMBY whom He had formed.
9 Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

oh and another fun term for gumby that came out of the hollows of So iLL....Duck Butt. Think about it next time you're watch a gumby climb, fits pretty well.

Then there's Pigsteak originals: "Tina Top Rope", "Sally", "Gramps" and my personal favorite, "Papa Poop Stain"!
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

A Gumby is one who you say hello to in passing but you just get a blank evil stare back. What, cat got your tongue bitch? Don't know how to talk? Would it take too much energy to say hi?