Alcohol Banned in Red River Gorge Campsites

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Glenrider

Alcohol Banned in Red River Gorge Campsites

Post by Glenrider »

Alcohol Banned in Red River Gorge Campsites.

This has been confirmed by the USFS. To add to it, here is a link to a disgruntled RRG Visitor who was ticketed just last week:

No Alcohol, No Vacations to Gorge
Published: May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

The editor:
I’ve enjoyed the Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge areas of southeastern Kentucky for over 40 years. That time has now come to an end. While camping last weekend, a U.S. Forest Service Ranger ticketed four members of our party for possessing and consuming alcoholic beverages within the gorge. Our camp was in a primitive area, isolated from other campers, was over 300 feet from a trail or road, and was nowhere near a cliff base, nor a rock shelter. No one in the group was loud, intoxicated, or anywhere near being under the legal age for consumption of adult beverages.

While I fully support the efforts of the Forest Service to protect the geological history, the wildlife, and the visitors to the Daniel Boone National Forest, I find it incomprehensible that harassment of tourists benefits in any way an area of the Commonwealth so desperately in need of the dollars that tourism brings to their economy.

So farewell Stanton, Slade, Nada, Beattyville, and Campton. My comrades and our cash will no longer be visiting your fine communities. Thanks for the memories and good luck when the last tourist leaves.

Harris Parke
Lexington
http://www.themoreheadnews.com/letters/ ... 20153.html
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

no drinking does protect the place.

how many times have you made a bad decision sober....lots
how many have you made while drinking.....not many. that's because when you are drunk everything sounds like a good idea.

theres always a good apple in the applesauce but one good doesn't erase all the mush.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
krampus

Post by krampus »

I get the feeling we did not get the whole story, but either way... ticket more fifo's and maybe they will stay home. :wink:
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i also find it funny that a person who "wasn't causing problems way back in the woods" was able to be found by the ranger. ??????? hhmmmmm.

and when did fun and alcohol really become one??
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
charlie

Post by charlie »

anticlmber wrote:.....and when did fun and alcohol really become one??
Usually around beer:thirty.
bazoqop

Post by bazoqop »

One of the most blissful moment's in my life was while lying on top of a boulder over at the Junkyard, drinking a Stroh's beer on a nice spring day after a good session...

If they catch me at it I'll suck up the ticket, but I will be discreet..
"Huh?"
hosgh

Post by hosgh »

anticlmber wrote: and when did fun and alcohol really become one??
College
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

I doubt the Forest Service would change policies without notifying the public. When I talked to them last fall before Rocktoberfest, they said alcohol was fine and I doubt that has changed.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Cleveland

Post by Cleveland »

I agree sax, especially as much money as the state is losing right now due to people not visiting parks. It would be rediculous for them to do such a thing.
"Do it"
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

Saxman & Cleveland,

I can promise you after my conversations - -

Policy has changed.
Last edited by Glenrider on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com