born yesterday

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
foxglove

born yesterday

Post by foxglove »

Well I feel like my subject title anyways. I am a new climber, and considering going to the gorge in the next few months. I am looking for a good sport climb for a beginner, any suggestions??
if it flowers, I probably like it
dbarless

Post by dbarless »

go with people who know what they are doing
p0bray01

Post by p0bray01 »

Do you have experience leading? It is really hard to set up TR's in the Red without a leader. Like dbarless said try and hook up with someone you feel confident knows what they are doing. A good beginner area if you have learned how to lead in a gym is the practice wall at Muir valley. Another good beginner area is Left Flank and Military wall (my first sport leads were at Left Flank! :mrgreen: )

When are you planning on being in the Red?
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Check out the helpful and knowledgeable guides at Red River Outdoors. www.redriveroutdoors.com
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

once you learn to lead or are with some people who do know how i've heard that "eureka" at lady slipper-global village is a great beginner climb. i assume you know that you can search for routes on this website by clicking the "online guidebook" and then "index."
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I suggest a guide at least once. Try redriveroutdoors or truenorth.
Living the dream
Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy »

When you are ready to go, both the practice wall and bruisebrothers in Muir have training anchors set up for learning on clean and rap so it is a good place to go once you find someone to show you the ropes. If you know how to lead and clean, Brentucky is right about eureka, it is worth the hike. The gorge has many great guides, keep your eyes out for climbing camps/clinics, and if all else fails post before you go and you might find some helpful person who can be bribed... pizza, beer, and/or cash are usually effective. :)
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

The Shire has 3 easy climbs together 7,8,9 bolted. Try there with someone who knows what they are doing or get a guide.
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.
krampus

Post by krampus »

when did this site get tame :?:
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

The "fox" part got to them. :roll:
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS