Climbing in the rain... in TN

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Green3

Climbing in the rain... in TN

Post by Green3 »

Trying to figure out where to climb on Saturday in the rain that's on the way down south. Need 10's and 12's. Thinking I want to climb in southern Tennessee. What stays dry?

Been to the Balcony and Solstice cave in Obed a while ago, are there dry 10's around Solstice? Is Tierrany wall a better bet? Never been there, do a range of grades stay dry? Somebody once told me is was hard to find.

How's Foster Falls? Anything stay dry there?

ANSWERS!

(Thank you)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I thought you were injured.
Living the dream
Green3

Post by Green3 »

Yeah, but resistance to addiction is futile. Getting by.... pretty soon I'll have to climb in a walking boot and back brace (aka girdle). Trying to get some TN action.

Thought you were too, how's the back old man?
JR

Post by JR »

As long as it isn't long term rain The Stephen King Library has dry 10' and 12's.

I also think the Bunker routes host some dry 12's at Fosters. Not sure about dry 10's
jpexpress

Post by jpexpress »

tiernay is always dry. unless the temp and dewpoint are less than 10degrees apart then you'll be hosed werever you go.
the main wall at tiernay is 10-11d with extensions through the roof that go from 12a-13c
my interests wincing in pain, cutting my toenails as I wince in pain, watching others wince in pain as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
and handling hazardous waste materials as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
JR

Post by JR »

It is at least 12a to find the Tierany wall first try.
ruetut

Post by ruetut »

nick - The Bunkers at fosters are always dry.
Diggler

Post by Diggler »

You can also hike up to Little Clear Creek if you are at the "OBED"...relatively overhanging, and stays dry unless it rains alot.
SouthClear Creek might be your best bet...I hear there are some o.k. routes there :wink:
bentley

Post by bentley »

Speaking of South Clear, I ran into Dave Frazier yesterday!
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!
Green3

Post by Green3 »

Tierany sounds like the winner... unless we get ridiculously lost and wander the woods aimlessly.

No one has any tips for easy locating, do they?

After the walk in the pouring rain, we'll probably just head over to South Clear Creek.