Mt Baker & WA glacier slogs

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I'll be in Washington mid-June. Let me get back to you.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

good deal. Looks like i will be flying out there SAT June 21st. Course starts on the 23rd. Will definatly be going to the smokies for some training hikes when the date gets closer.
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St Augustine
mystickana

Rainier

Post by mystickana »

I and a friend of mine are looking to attempt to summit Rainier hopefully this summer. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done it. What kind of time period am I looking at to train for this and any advice would be totally appreciated. I am new to Kentucky.
C.M.
Out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field. I will meet you there.
Rumi
ynot

Post by ynot »

um, isn't Ranier in Washington?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
mystickana

Rainier

Post by mystickana »

Yes it is in Washington State not far out of Ashford. I am going to do the climb with RMI, hopefully in July. A 5 day trip.
Out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field. I will meet you there.
Rumi
ynot

Post by ynot »

I have a really old picture of it somewhere taken from the top of the space needle.
you might think it's no big deal but try finding a day in the winter that's clear enough to get that shot. I was lucky.Wouldn't climbing the needle be more fun that Ranier?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
mystickana

Rainier

Post by mystickana »

Not for me..... :-) Always wanted to do it before I turn 40. So here goes!
Rumi
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Here is a great DVD that will help you.
"Train to climb Mt Rainier"
http://www.bodyresults.com/p1rainier.asp

You can google search and find numerous articles on the net to help train. Best advice would be to carry a 50 pound backpack on as much elevation gain as you can find. You should train quite extensively for this mounatin. it will be very challenging, even for fit individuals. I will be going down to the smokies for some training hikes just like this. You can carcamp at Big Creek in the smokies and climb Mt Sterling and Mt Cammerer from the campground. Baxter creek goes up to Sterling with 4000 vertical feet in 6 miles. Maybe we can meet up or carpool for these hikes. I would say Cave run Lake or Redd river gorge hikes with a loaded backapck for more local training. RMI should have some training tips on thier website.

That will actually be the next glacated mountain on my "list." I kinda wanted to get some skills at a lower elevation mountain first. I get AMS pretty bad around 12,000. With a thorough acclimization period and some Diamox I feel pretty decent. I still wanted to make sure I was cool with crevasses/glacier travel before trying them at high altitude. (Rainier)

I would highly reccomend as much acclimization as possible. Get out theer and camp and hike as high as possible in the days leadig up to your climb. Ginkgo Biloba has been found to lessen the effects and is a pretty cheap herbal fix.
Diamox works very well but is only available from your DR. I usuallly just go on and take both for as much insurance as possible. There is nothing worse than trainig your ass off for months and months then feel like a lethargic, flatlander who has never exercised in his life. AMS will be one of the most miserable days of your life.
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St Augustine
mystickana

Rainier

Post by mystickana »

I checked out the info on the RMI site for conditioning and actually liked the info on the DVD you noted also. I guess that I am going to give it a whirl. I would be interested in meeting up with you for some of the hiking you are talking about. When are you going? Let me know. I will let you know how things are going. When is your trip again? Sounds like you have a great plan. I have done some hiking in Arkansas, and North Alabama but not lately... I've done a little sport climbing and some repelling, never done an Alpine assent, my ex was a Climber with a few assents under his belt... Crestone Needle and some ice climbing in Mt. Blanc and a few others. He wanted to do Rainier but I dont know if he ever did. I have a friend who did Rainier and said it was very challenging but doable. They do a mountaineering school and Crevasse Rescue School before hand... the first being part of the package, the second optional. Thanks for all of the good advice... stay in touch.
Chyrl
Rumi
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

I will be going to do the training hikes about 2-3 weeks out from the climb and possibly another one 4-6 weeks out. I will be going at least once, hopefully twice. So Memorial day weekend or the next will be the for sure trip. The one earlier in the year than that will be up in the air.

I would also reccomend getting some backpacking experience before you go, if you dont have any. The alpinism course i am taking has that as a prerequisite. This will kind of help get you "dialed in" for backcountry travel.

Here are some links for trainging that I have looked at:
http://www.aai.cc/PhyCond_feature_article.asp
http://www.bodyresults.com/s1mountaineering.asp

I am still not registered, but my planned trip date is June 23-28th.

Do not underestimate the conditioning needed for Rainier.

@Mystickana: Are you flexable at all on your dates? I could toy with the idea of rainier, but I cant go after July 1st or so.