Red Climbing in Dec.-Jan

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
Myke Dronez

Post by Myke Dronez »

The cold doesn't seem too bad if you can keep your body adequately warm while standing still in mid 30 temps. I try to wear about 3-4 layers with gloves, long johns, a balaclava, and a beanie. It sounds obvious but you have to try to keep the ol' fingers warm for as long as possible. I rack, tie in, and shoe up before taking off the gloves and attack the wall with speed. Handwarmers in the chalk bag help if you can catch good rests but it takes them a second to warm numb fingers so good ledges, no handers, and of course hangs, are all good opportunities. Now this doesn't exactly guarantee a 'pleasant' experience but if you fiend for the rock the pleasantries don't matter. The friction is bomber- you hardly need chalk and you can take your pick at the crag because there are no crowds to deal with.
The only escape is up.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

no crowds??? yeah roadside and solar NEVER have people in the winter.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
ashtray

Re: Red Climbing in Dec.-Jan

Post by ashtray »

hamlincheese wrote:Im thinking of coming to the red for a couple of weeks in dec and jan. Im on break from school in AZ and just wanted to know what the scene is like during this time. I would be coming from dayton ohio so I would need to be fairly certain that I could find a partner. any ideas?

jeff
hey jeff, some of us will be climbing, but sorry you ain't invited. you can pm if you want to beg. but the answer will be the same...........
pippen

Re: Red Climbing in Dec.-Jan

Post by pippen »

hamlincheese wrote:Im thinking of coming to the red for a couple of weeks in dec and jan. Im on break from school in AZ and just wanted to know what the scene is like during this time. I would be coming from dayton ohio so I would need to be fairly certain that I could find a partner. any ideas?

jeff
Spragwa wrote:Don't even try. Way too cold.
Yeah, right. 60 degrees predicted for this Saturday!
charlie

Post by charlie »

facetious

adjective
cleverly amusing in tone; "a bantering tone"; "facetious remarks"; "tongue-in-cheek advice" [syn: bantering]
travelinyouth

Post by travelinyouth »

Hey I'll be home in Cincinnati between xmas eve and the 3rd if you need a partner.... I am down with the cold.... all you have to do is pray for sun and climb on the southside! PM me if your interested. (My car will be in colorado, but i can have someone drive me to the highway and meet ya.)