Michael Robison: AKA, ZSPYDER

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

.............................................................................................................................................
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

to the family....if there is anything the climbing community can do to help out, don't hestitate to ask. we are a disparate group of individuals, but one that takes our climbing community seriously...we're here if you need us.

goodguy, please let us know if you hear of anything.

may the family find peace and comfort in each other and their faith.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
quicksilver

I Love You Mike

Post by quicksilver »

Mike introduced me to climbing some 18 years ago. I made the mistake of asking him what he was training for at the gym one day at lunch. He replied "Rock Climbing" - what that was I had no clue but somehow I was interested and he was looking for a new partner. Six months later I was sittting on top of places like Mt. Whitney, North Palisades, Hurds Peak and Chocolate Mountain in the Sierra Nevadas. To get ready for these objectives Mike introduced me to a strange place called the Red River Gorge. Back then there were a lot fewer people in the Gorge, no Shell station and a crowd at Miguels Pizza was 10 people. Mike was a very capable climber and to the point when teaching you how to belay. I remember after a few months of climbing I asked if I could use his rope to climb one weekend when he could'nt go. I quickly learned that you never loan out your rope. Other than his rope Mike would give you the shirt off his back. We had great climbs together all over the U.S. and even though we only climbed 5.10 on a good day we always had a great time wether we were at the R.R.G; Seneca, Eldo or in the Sierras. We always climbed one 3 day weekend a month in the Gorge and we always climbed until Dark. This made for some long days in some terrible weather but God was it great. I can still see Mike leading up the Bastille in Eldo. and The Royal Arches in Yosemite. I remember feeling how we could communicate through the rope at Seneca even though we could not see or hear each other due to the terrain and cold October wind. A couple of Mikes' favorite climbing terms were "Lower the Pig" and "On Banana" and I remember one very hearty "Yee-Haw" one evening as some locals discharged a weapon over our heads at the trailhead for Military. Mike was a kind and caring Husband and Father who loved his wife Nancy and Daughter Amber more than anything else in the world. When I decided to build a climbing gym in Bloomington, IN. Mike gave generously of his time and energy as well as investing in a rather risky project. Although Mike had not climbed much in recent years he kept abreast of the climbing world and as has been noted, he somtimes pushed some buttons. I guess he just liked to stir the pot sometimes. Take it from me - he was a fine person and was just goofing around. I guess I better quit although I could write a hundred stories of our time on the rock. Mike I love you man and thank you for introducing me to Climbing and all its' joys. I hope to climb for a few more years and wherever I go you will be in my minds eye as well as my heart. CLIMB ON YOU PIG !!!

I LOVE YOU MAN
"If you smile at me I will understand
Because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"
Crosby,Stills and Nash - Wooden Ships
ATLdude

Post by ATLdude »

that's really sad news.

may he rest in peace
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

While I formed a pretty low opinion of the "zspider" that appeared here on the board, it's bittersweet to hear the real person was someone well loved and worthy of a great deal of respect. This is a tragic loss, and his friends and family are in my thoughts.
Bacon is meat candy.
t bone

Post by t bone »

This is terrible news, Mike was a real nice guy. His family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thoughs, prayers, and positive vibes to Mike's family and friends in their time of loss.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
KD

Post by KD »

very sad news! i am so sorry for him and his family especially this close to the holidays. pretty funny guy here who could get people really worked up sometimes - but it was all good really. the people he honked off the most will be the ones missing him the greatest. deepest sympathy.
gulliver

Post by gulliver »

This is very sad. My condolences to his family and to his climbing buddies.

You could usually sense a grin or smirk behind his keyboard. That's cool. It's more cool that he loved his family and sharing his love of climbing.

I know you were mostly grinning cause you were so resilient.
**********rest peacefully
Pru

Post by Pru »

oh, no. This is just terrible news. To all of Mike's friends and family, you have my deepest sympathy. :cry: