Trad Rack

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
rhino

Post by rhino »

"Hookers and drugs man. Money can't buy happiness but it's really hard not to smile when you're in a cheap hotel room surrounded by hookers and drugs." ~ Charlie
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

charlie wrote:That said, if you want to tell someone what to avoid, try and provide an example of what kinds of situations would be problematic. If you can't do that, when communicating to a gumby a rule to live by, that you made on the spot, on that one climb in Colorado back then, at least know what freakin brand you're talking about!
I said I was pretty sure it was dmm (assuming the make/made cams). My point was it wasn't metolius or BD for sure, which seem to be the two most popular cams in my experience...and I think there is a reason why they are the most popular. There are lots of random cheap cams floating about, but without extensive experience with them, I wouldn't stray from the big names.

DIAF you moron.
charlie

Post by charlie »

The fact that you don't know how to recognize a Friend and don't consider them popular speaks volumes.

Anyways, Rhino's got the best recommendation in this whole pointless tirade, fun though it may be.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Avoid the cheap die-cast cams. They have been known to have a brittle failure and can be easily be miss-manufacuted not knowing they are bad by looks. The better cams are milled from aluminum stock and will deform massively before failing. Those cheap ones will just break well before that. That little extra could save your life in a hard fall.
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

charlie wrote:The fact that you don't know how to recognize a Friend and don't consider them popular speaks volumes.
Volumes on your arrogance perhaps.

Still pretty sure it was DMM, even though some of the friends have a similarly crappy look to them.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Shamis wrote:.....Volumes on your arrogance perhaps.........
I never thought I was fooling anyone in that regard, believe me.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

man, where have I been when this good flame was going on????? sorry I missed it you two tempermental children....

neither one of you qualifies for a good pigsteak corollary to resolve this issue, so I will leave you to your own throwing of rocks .....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
JR

Post by JR »

I get the feeling you guys are not going to budge on this tri-cam thing. O well. I guess I am just glad I never bought tri-cams or hexes. I know exactly where they would be when I went Tradding. My closet, right next to my old ropes and blown out mythos. Truth be told I am more of a Sport traddie than a traditional traddie.
ynot

Post by ynot »

A sport traddie? What the hell is that? something like "Military Intelligence or Jumbo Shrimp".? I bailed JR. I was beat after hiking out of Mariba and Miguel had no gas so I cruised on home to a warm bed and a shower. THCC would have been good. Did yopu get out to Bob Marley?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
JR

Post by JR »

Sport traddie: Someone that has dumbed down everything traditional about climbing cracks. Hang dogging, tick marking placements, tick marking holds and/or jams, not taking any extra gear on red or pinkpoint attempts. Basically someone that does not think tri-cams are neat or clunking hexes sound cool.