Rapelling help

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
abock33

Rapelling help

Post by abock33 »

Sorry for the n00b question but I'm new to trad. All the forms that I've read about rapelling from a tree mention leaving webbing behind. I have also noticed that most of the trad routes in the guide book state rap from a tree. So what method do you use? I've heard about the Texas rope trick. but what about single pitch routes where you're more than a third rope length high without leaving slings or other anchor material behind or damaging the tree?
Andrew
ynot

Post by ynot »

When the guide says rap from a tree, there are most likely slings and rings on the tree already. It's up to you to inspect them and replace them if needed before you rap. I always have a quiklink and 8 or ten feet of webbing in my pack in case I'm going somwhere obscure. Wood rats like to chew up webbing for nesting material.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Snowpuppy

Post by Snowpuppy »

No kidding, or the sun warps the webbing. What's bad is when you can hear the rats chewing on the webbing while you're climbing........
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear, such people become crazy-they become legends." ---Legends of the Fall
ynot

Post by ynot »

or when you pull up to a ledge and there's a copperhead in your face. You shoulda seen what the rats did to a fixed rope at Chica Bonita. It was unrecognizable.
ynot

Post by ynot »

you still have that pack for sale? I'll be down the third and fourth if you want to hook up.
abock33

Post by abock33 »

Is there anyway to rap without leaving the webbing?
Andrew
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

Without damage to the tree? No.
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

Actually, you can but it's a bit hard on your gear. You should NEVER pull half your rope along the tree b/c you just draped each side on opposite sides of the tree. This is very hard on the bark.

1. Instead of girthing the slings to the tree, drape it from the back so that you have an equal amount of sling on both sides.
2. Clip a biner into each "end" of the sling.
3. This part depends on how far you have to rappel. If it's less than 1/3 the total length of the rope, tie one end to just one of the biners and feel the rope through until the hanging "u" touches the ground. The free end of the rope must also be on the ground or you won't have enough rope to make it! If you're more than 1/3 of the way up, tie a second rope to the single biner.
4. Rappel with the rope through the two biners. If using the single rope method, rap with the free end and side of the rope than runs from the biner to the ground.
5. Pull free end of rope through biners.
6. Pull on single biner to pull sling around tree and recover your sling.
This is a modification of a technique I found in Climbing.

http://www.climbing.com/print/techtips/ttsport223/
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

Strange. There is supposed to be URL at the bottom of that post. SCIN, what's the deal?

Try this.
http://www.climbing.com/print/techtips/ttsport223/
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
L Day

Post by L Day »

Okay, but this technique requires TWO ropes for a very short rap. Plus, you have to deal with the possible negative consequences of your rope end whipping down with a sling and two 'biners attached. Think numbchuck or bolo to imagine what can go wrong. Simply not worth it.