stick clipping

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
JR

Post by JR »

Wow Atl. "Aren't you sharp as a tack are you some type of lawyer or something? Or somebody important or something?"
tania

Post by tania »

Right on Rockman!! :D
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." ~Keith Urban
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

SCIN wrote:What the hell is this thread about? I'm so confused. I stick clipped my ass up a project last week. Carried it on my harness like a piece of gear.....full extended. You should've seen what an ass I looked like. I feel good about that.
On one of the Rockafest videos on some petzl site they're hanging the draws on a project at the Chocolate Factory by, yes, stick clipping up the route, with the stick hanging from a gear loop while bat-manning up to the next draw. So, other than whatever baseline ass-looking you put out, you probably looked no different than Pepe le Peu, Mr. Petzl-sponsored pro climber. (This also answered my question of how the f*&$ do they get the draws up on a route like Realization, where the strongest climber there can't necessarily get past the crux to the next clip?)

Does stick clipping permanently damage the rock? No. Does it harm the people around you? No. Play the game the way that is most fun for you.
Bacon is meat candy.
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

While we're on the topic - does anyone use a Squid? Is it a huge improvement over a spring clamp?
Bacon is meat candy.
Cleveland

Post by Cleveland »

To each his/her own
"Do it"
krampus

Post by krampus »

I found the squid to have a steep frustrating learning curve but once I figured it out I really diddn't like any more than a spring clamp, except maybe for taking a draw back down.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

squid is superior once you learn its quirks....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
KD

Post by KD »

i got a squid but broke one of the ear things off of the rodeo clip part.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

I found a spring clamp or tape to be easier then a squid but the unclipping feature of the squid is really useful.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
caribe

Post by caribe »

I second the notion about the squid. It is tricky to learn, but works well. Draws can be unhung with any device and a rope. With the squid you don't need the rope to unhang the draw. When operating the squid you need a slight twist along with an upward thrust (at least that is what I figured out). The squid screws nicely on home depot/ Lowes type painter poles, but sometimes twisting starts to unscrew the squid from the pole.