stick clipping

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
caribe

Post by caribe »

If that's it. It stick clipping is the extent of it then you and I are not on the same page. If your aim is the eventual send in the absence of the clip then great. I can totally see the use of the stick clip that Kipp is describing.

In any case it does not matter. We all play solitaire as we like. It is no body's business but yours.
------------
pigsteak wrote:ok...from an old fart...90% of the time if I plan on projecting somehting at my maximum limit, then I have "zero" reservations of stick clipping thru cruxes. I do this for several reasons:
ping to the pros....
krampus

Post by krampus »

der uber wrote:Caribe, I think you're spot on. It's kinda like people how are new to climbing who haven't learned yet the difference between getting to the top, and getting the send.
When they are no longer noobs, I am sure they'll form there own own moral standards about the stickclip and tell all you bastards to shut the hell up. While they are noobs, just let them enjoy their innocence while they still have it. It can be a cruel world with people telling them what the "proper" way to climb is. It seems like such a long time ago but I miss that one day at the red where I got to toprope everything.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
JR

Post by JR »

caribe wrote: If the general MO is stick clipping up routes because one never wants to fall, I am not sure how one can have a positive experience. If self respect is not important or if one can respect self and stick clip their way up everything, this defines a loss of rapport with others who climb everywhere. If one can be happy socially disconnected ... that is fine.
I have met you and think you are a positive, energetic climber. However I feel like this is way of base. Come on man, everybody seems to climb things a little differently. Say you are looking at the twelve wall at military. You see some one kneebaring their way up Reliquary. And maybe you think kneebars are ghey. Or you look over at Nudgepappa and you see kids falling all over the place. And you think that is so silly why don't those climbers get on something they can really climb. Or maybe you look over your right shoulder and see tons of Gumbies with helmets, almost killing themselves with the shit they do. But you learned from a certified guide so you think you are above all that z-clipping non-sense. Are all these climbers "socially disconnected"? They might be disconnected from each others groups(the gumbies and the falling kids). Maybe. But look closer. Those individual groups are tight. And low and behold they are having a "positive experience" and they respect each other within the group.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You where saying the guy is stick clipping up a route because he never wants to fall? I find this on the ironic side because this person is actually on lead. The guy belaying is most likely thinking "I can not wait to top rope this thing".
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

What the hell is this thread about? I'm so confused. I stick clipped my ass up a project last week. Carried it on my harness like a piece of gear.....full extended. You should've seen what an ass I looked like. I feel good about that.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

My stick clip broke this weekend, but that gives me a chance to top the 16' that I had. If you climb with me, just let me know if you need the first four draws hung. :D
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

one of things I like to do is SC the first bolt with the draw and rope and then see how many other draws I can hang with my SC....I have a LONG unit! So many people look at me like I am crazy or even sometimes say something. Those same people then go to work on redpointing there proj's with the draws hanging and have no idea how stupid they are.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
caribe

Post by caribe »

Buy my new book.
The Warriors Way: Serial Stick Clipping the New Climbing Ethos.

It was good to have this chat, I feel closer to all of you now.
.. . and then he breaks into SONG!

Every generation, blames the one before
And all of their frustrations, come beating on your door
I know that I'm a prisoner. To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage to all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

No crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thoughts
Stilted conversations, I'm afraid that's all we've got
You say you just don't see it, he says its perfect sense
You just can?t get agreement, in this present tense
We all talk a different language, talking in defense

Say it loud . . . (say it loud)
Say it clear (oh say it clear)
You can listen as well as you hear (as well as you hear)
It?s too late (its too late)
When we die (ooh when we die)
To admit we don?t see eye to eye (we don?t see eye to eye)

that was beautiful!

:shock:
Steve

Post by Steve »

SCIN wrote:What the hell is this thread about? I'm so confused. I stick clipped my ass up a project last week. Carried it on my harness like a piece of gear.....full extended. You should've seen what an ass I looked like. I feel good about that.
Ummmm this thread is about bolts, other people's way of doing things is the only way to do things, stick clipping, ethics, ego, and self gratification. C'mom SCIN you've been around the board long enough know that EVERY thread is about these six topics.

So if I stick clip my way up a route and then go around the corner and place gear with my stick clip to get up another route does that negate my use of the stick clip on the first route so that I can check that first route off on my on-line spray? So many burning questions?
rockman

Post by rockman »

"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
Atl

Post by Atl »

I think that you might correct your statement slightly. Any thread on ANY forum is about ego and self gratification.
www.warriorfusion.org