stick clipping

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

KD wrote:its kinda looked down on but something everybody has probably done. kinda like wackin'
Wackin is looked down on?
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
caribe

Post by caribe »

512OW wrote:
KD wrote:its kinda looked down on but something everybody has probably done. kinda like wackin'
Wackin is looked down on?
Yes, wackin is looked down on by you when you are wackin.
Sloopy

Post by Sloopy »

I personally don't stick clip. Say it was a project I was working, I would want the feeling of completing every single part of the climb.

But, that is my own opinion. I fully agree with the idea that you should do what you've gotta do to have fun and be as safe as possible.
"You can't spell 'failure' without u r a." -Dr. C.

You have either have got the spirit or you don't. If you've got the spirit you rock; and if you don't... well, you're a sport climber. -Leonard Coyne
Like This

Post by Like This »

I agree with ya, Sloop.

If stick clipin' makes you feel more comfortable on the climb, then who's to stop you from that? On some of the trad climbs that have been more challenging for me, I have had the first piece of pro placed for me.

Do what you feel like you need to do.
"When you feel something, don't just yell 'STRIKE!' and then pull out. Leave your probe where it is." -JH

I love you too, Ray!!
512OW

Post by 512OW »

I used to be against it.

My new theory is that when more and more people begin climbing, more and more injuries will occur. If enough injuries occur, its liable to get outlawed like cliff jumping did.

Why not have the first bolt, or two in some cases, clipped, and make that the norm, so that less injuries occur?
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
krampus

Post by krampus »

seriously though, if it shows up on the guys spray, then he is a bitch. If not, then he and his buds got to climb over their heads.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Sloopy wrote:Say it was a project I was working, I would want the feeling of completing every single part of the climb.
So when you SC you don't do the move from the ground to the first bolt?

All you anti-stick clippers, I better never see you clip a bolt above your head, for the full non-cheating effect you better be clipping bolts at your waist or knees and skipping lot of bolts.

oh and wackin? :roll:
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Stick clipping your way up a route is like masturbation. It's good every once and awhile but just don't let anyone see you doing it.

A different spin on a quote from a 60 year old who I witnessed soloing. Just substitute stick clipping with soloing.
chriss

Post by chriss »

hmm ... How about climbing in whatever style you like. If someone has a problem with it, to bad. I have used a stick clip to get past moves many times. When you pull up and check out the holds available you can usually figure out the moves pretty quickly.

But really, who cares what someone else is doing as long as it is safe. Just because you are embarrassed to use a stick clip, doesn't mean that it’s not the norm for others. I would recommend paying more attention to your climbing and less to others.
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

after i broke my knee when a foot chip blew on a route with a run out first bolt i've been a fan of stick clipping. That said, i typically never clip anything other than the first bolt unless i get on something that is way over my head accidentally and just want to get off the damn route. some routes are designed with stick clipping in mind and have the first bolt pretty high, high enough that you wouldn't want to deck from up there. this weekend i carried my stick clip with me 2 of the 3 days and on the day i didn't have it i wanted it. I got on Out for Justice and the first bolt is pretty high, luckily the holds are big but so are the moves. I would have used a stick clip had there been one around.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.