buying a DSLR, please help!

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?ca ... ctNr=25420

what are the thoughts on the new D40 for somebody starting out with DSLR?
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
Legion

Post by Legion »

Any thoughts on D80 versus D200? Worth the money for a n00b?
flashmaster

Post by flashmaster »

Go with canon. They're way ahead of the game. As a nikon owner I'm starting to contemplate it. But if you must go nikon buy the less expensive body as it's already out of date. and spend it on good glass.
chester

Post by chester »

D300 is the way to go.
[size=84]Women are like tea bags. They don't know how strong they are until they get into hot water.[/size]
Alan Evil

Post by Alan Evil »

Has anyone used the new 18mm-200mm Nikon lense? It's amazingly light and short when at 18mm. Are the lenses still the same legendary quality despite being built for the much smaller digital receptor? I've looked through one and was impressed but I haven't had a chance to compare it.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]
Wes

Post by Wes »

I have heard some good stuff about the new super zooms, but they are not fast enough for what I do. I have three lenses to get from 16 - 200, and the are heavy and pricey for sure. But the are also 2.8 and canon "L" quality. Photography is all about trade offs, I guess.

chester, does that mean you are going back to Nikon? And you are looking to sell your canon gear nice and cheap?

I want to get a p/s digital, something small like canon s3 is, just to carry around, as dslr with grip and big lens and flash is not easy or low key to bring anywhere with you...
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Alan Evil

Post by Alan Evil »

It seems like one of those tiny Canon or Nikon 4megapixel point and shoots would be perfect and they're tiny and just so cheap these days. Seems I saw a tiny Nikon for $80 the other day.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]
neuroshock

Post by neuroshock »

Wes wrote:I want to get a p/s digital, something small like canon s3 is, just to carry around, as dslr with grip and big lens and flash is not easy or low key to bring anywhere with you...
I've been wanting to take a closer look at the new Canon G9.

- 35mm-210mm f/2.8-4.8 IS (35mm equivalent)
- hot shoe for external flash (tho, if i have the point-and-shoot on me instead of the SLR, i probably won't have a Speedlite on me either)
- decently low noise up to ISO 200
- RAW (CR2) file format
- 4.2"x2.8"x1.7" & 9.4oz
IndyRick

Post by IndyRick »

Alan Evil wrote:Has anyone used the new 18mm-200mm Nikon lense? It's amazingly light and short when at 18mm. Are the lenses still the same legendary quality despite being built for the much smaller digital receptor? I've looked through one and was impressed but I haven't had a chance to compare it.
I have that lens. I like the vibration reduction feature the best. I think the manual says that you can shoot two eV stops lower than a normal lens and not get blur. I'm really, really new to the whole dSLR thing, so I'm not the best judge of what works well.

Check out this guy's opinion....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm
neuroshock

Post by neuroshock »

IndyRick wrote:I have that lens. I like the vibration reduction feature the best. I think the manual says that you can shoot two eV stops lower than a normal lens and not get blur. I'm really, really new to the whole dSLR thing, so I'm not the best judge of what works well.
just pointing out to be clear...

with IS(canon)/VR(nikon) you can shoot properly exposed photos up to 2-3 stops slower with good technique. however, whatever settings you end up at will still need to be quick enough to stop blur.

i.e. taking a photo of a parked car at 1/8sec @ 16mm can be fine. taking a photo of a flying helicopter at 1/30sec @ 85mm will still get blurred rotor blades, regardless.

the way i look at it is, i hope the IS will be enough to offset any movement from hand-holding my camera but i still need enough light to make the shot i want.