Elite level routes

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

We got elite level mountain wieners.

Word to yer mama.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
krampus

Post by krampus »

I hope I don't ever get strong, cus then I might have to leave kentucky
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Meadows wrote:Katie Brown (and she's just one of them, although probably in the top). They become strong and leave. With that ability/talent, possibilities abound worldwide. Why stay?
Why stay? That brings us back to the original question.

I guess it all comes down to, 'bolt it and they will come'.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

True. Bolt them and they will come, but if the route bolted is crappy, they will come and ridicule.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

This seems more like a pride issue versus something that would help the coalition. Is there any precidence in the US of elite climber(s) moving in to an area and it helping an area in ways other than just hard routes?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Smith Rocks comes to mind as an area that brings in lots of elite climbers and also has plenty for the average joe. Smith Rocks has a solid community, and does lots of work each year to maintain their routes, trails, etc.

I think putting the Red on the map more as an elite area could certainly help the RRGCC.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Elite level routes will bring in more money for the RRGCC, because people, especially climbing companies, will be more willing to donate money for an elite area, than for average joe outdoor gym humid hick fest.
Living the dream
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i disagree Andrew. sponsered climbers don't have any reason to spend money, (they're sponsered) it's the average wanker that buys ton's of stuff.

how many shiny, new, clinky things do you see around Mig's or just in general.

fuck' em if we aren't hard enough. we have a good time sucking.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Evan

Post by Evan »

It appears that no one, including myself, can climb at this level. If you will never get close to an "elite" route, how will having a line of draws next to where you are trying to climb improve your experience?
If you have endless projects in your own backyard what do you care what some kid in UTAH or CA thinks about your spot? I know share the bounty, but at some point you have to stop obsessing over numbers or you'll always feel inadequate. There is no need to feel inferior if you are there for the right reasons. You might think I have it totally wrong, being a trad climber going against the collective mentality of the sport community.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

rhunt wrote:
Why stay? That brings us back to the original question.

I guess it all comes down to, 'bolt it and they will come'.
The original question asks why we don't have an abundance of elite routes, not why elite climbers don't commit their lives to Kentucky. :wink: