Bugs at the Red

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
roclmbr

Bugs at the Red

Post by roclmbr »

I will be visiting Red River Gorge in a couple of weeks for the first time. How are the mosquitos and black flies? Any other bugs to worry about? Advice and suggestions welcomed. How is the weather this time of year?
Go big or stay home!
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

Last weekend was almost completely bug-free. By the time dusk was setting in, there were a couple of the small bitey things that puke onto your skin and make it itch, but during the day I didn't get any bites. Usually it's pretty buggy in the summer, though, so it doesn't hurt to have some DEET bug spray with you. Anywhere from 30% to the hardcore 100% that Meadows carries around works.

Also, it's usually pretty hot and humid around this time of year, but again - last weekend was a beautiful low-humidity weekend with temps pretty much in the 80s and very comfortable climbing in the shade.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
enoch308

Post by enoch308 »

No black flies. There are mosquitos but have not been so bad. Spray might be a good idea. Sun facing walls in the afternoon are not good. There are plenty of shaded walls for then. Mornings, evenings are great. Watch for the snakes. Copperheads are known to den and lie out at the base of a few walls. Generally beta on climbs may mention them.
....with every step he takes ... every move he makes....
odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.
roclmbr

Post by roclmbr »

Thanks. I usually carry a bottle of 100% DEET anyway. I will send my son on the route first to check out for snakes.
Go big or stay home!
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

While the recent weather has been decent, it did get hotter earlier this year than normal. And it's been drier which may have contributed to the lack of mosquitos. I'm only a daytripper, but the bugs during the day haven't been as bad as usual either. I'm talking flies (small and horse), mosquitos and no-see-ums. The wasps, hornets and things that sting and hurt are about normal. Scope out your route good before starting, there may be a surprise or two in some of the holds. Also, seems to be a lot more snake reports this year; though you should always be careful in KY about snakes and spy-ders. Most everything will leave you alone if you leave it alone.

Also, it's my understanding that the big, gnarly, burgandy millipedes have a toxic bite/coating.

Careful where you put your shoes...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Yasmeen, the reason there were no bugs last weekend was because they all decided to feast on me! :wink:

if you are overly sensitive to mosquitos, i recommend DEET or some such & hydrocortisone cream for afterwards. haven't really had plms with other bugs.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
roclmbr

Post by roclmbr »

Spiders and snakes are OK, but the millipedes are SCARY. I believe you are correct about them being poisonous.
Go big or stay home!
Fartspray

Post by Fartspray »

Last edited by Fartspray on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mboss

Post by Mboss »

We are all going to die of cancer if we live long enough. The smoking will kill me long before the DEET.
"Birth and death are easy. Life is hard." -Tom Robbins in Jitterbug Perfume
Fartspray

Post by Fartspray »

Last edited by Fartspray on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.