metal on metal

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Josephine

metal on metal

Post by Josephine »

can someone please explain to me why clipping a draw to the racking BINER of a cam is a bad thing? i've had people tell me this before (of course i forgot it in the heat of the moment!) but i want to understand the WHY behind it.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Wes

Post by Wes »

When you clip 2 'biners together for lead pro, the odds of them coming unclipped in a fall are kinda high. Just take to biners, clip them together, then spin them around, and watch how easy they are to unclip. It can happen when you clip a hanger and the draw rotates as well, though that is much less likely to happen. "Metal on Metal" is not always bad, like some people seem to think, but biner on biner, for lead pro, is not a good idea.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

now THAT makes sense.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

Yep. Metal on metal can't be all bad, otherwise I'd have to get rid of all my nuts & hexes (they have metal cables).
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
rockman

Post by rockman »

yea, what wes said
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Listen to Wes, he's smart.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

The other reason I once heard (in addition to Wes') is that metal-on-metal can cause metal burrs or scratches on the biner. Then if you later use the burred biner on the rope you can start to cut into the rope. Supposedly, this isn't a problem with quickdraws used on bolt hangers because you are supposed to always use the same biner on the bolt and the other on the rope, so the burred metal-on-metal biner never touches rope.

Of course that logic falls apart for traddies, because most of us also use the same set of draws that we use on bolts to clip directly into the webbing on cams.
rockman

Post by rockman »

Canuck wrote:...

Of course that logic falls apart for traddies, because most of us also use the same set of draws that we use on bolts to clip directly into the webbing on cams.
But traddies dont fall, hence not resulting in burred biners.
"My Shit is Fucked Up." --Warren Zevon and Terry Kindred.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Canuck wrote:Of course that logic falls apart for traddies, because most of us also use the same set of draws that we use on bolts to clip directly into the webbing on cams.
I have a totally different set of draws for trad climbing that are of various lengths. Some of these are super short, like half the length of a sport draw. Occassionally I will clip a second biner to a wired nut or stopper to lessen the chance of pulling the piece out from rope drag.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
trad_dawg

Post by trad_dawg »

I've never heard of a gear failure clipping biner to biner, but I've never really seen anybody clipping biner to biner. I agree with Wes. J - you should really find a mentor before you get yourself seriously hurt.
Never confuse having a career with having a life. --Frank Stermitz