My parents and the Red...

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
heidiramma

Post by heidiramma »

anticlmber wrote:me? outside?? i changed the zipper sucka.
okay then, imagine you and a bunch of annoying brats duct taped inside. We're talking the whole friggin' tent covered with tape. lovin' it now?
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

"Koomer Ridge Campground" sounds like the place for them with quick access to the populated Slade area. It's "not too woodsy", has hook-ups if you need them, paved and level so you can ride your bike around and most importantly is on a mountaintop. This helps greatly with a low concentration of insects (particularly ticks) as they prefer the lower more moist regions. Also, ticks hate dry conditions such as drought. In addition, any area that may have a natural breeze (such as the mountaintop) is also "anti-bug'.

Sounds like for your parents first trip to the RRG they need to try Koomer. Explore the area and choose somewhere else they might discover rather than taking a gamble their very first time.

Hit this link and scroll down to "Koomer":
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/campcumb.shtml
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Pru

Post by Pru »

The only trouble with Koomer is that it's a noisy, brightly lit up (by the campers) circus. Sort of like Miguel's without the hippies, but not as friendly and no pizza.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

um, pru, miguel's has no hippies..only wannabe's.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

ok just for all you hippies out there I can't leave this one alone.

Hey GOP pigsteak, what the hell do you know about being a hippie?
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
captain static

Post by captain static »

Actually the only places that completely fit the bill for your Mom, water & a place to ride, are the Twin Knobs and Zilpo Recreation Areas at Cave Run Lake (See: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreatio ... shtml#twin and scroll down). Twin Knobs is the closest to the Gorge. We regularly stay at my friends vaction home near Cave Run and both climb and then hit one of the beaches at the lake for swimming. When staying on that side of the Gorge the closest crags are Phantasia, Fortress, Long Wall, Military, & Left Flank.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Pru

Post by Pru »

pigsteak wrote:um, pru, miguel's has no hippies..only wannabe's.
shit stirrer.

You know as well as I do that the word has evolved to mean dirty, smelly, (pot smoking optional), SUV-driving trustafarians who couldn't give a shit about world peace or conservation and can't even be bothered to vote<br><br>
512OW

Post by 512OW »

vote? why? See where it got you last time?
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

Cave Run is good--but a little far away from Slade.

Whittleton is a good option--but make reservations.

Lago Linda is FULL of ticks and probably a little too woodsy.--unless you get a cabin to keep the ticks out?
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.
captain static

Post by captain static »

steep4me wrote:Cave Run is good--but a little far away from Slade.

Whittleton is a good option--but make reservations.
I don't think TIY's mom & dad are coming to the Gorge to climb, maybee just to check it out a little. So why the need to be near Slade? Whittleton is in a hole. Unless they are into the Hoedown there's not that much to do. Twin Knobs has it all for tourist camper. Lake views, swimming, biking on flat ground, hike up to the Knobs observation deck. Maybee they could even rent a boat and take TIY out on the lake?
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh