Copperheads @ Solar Collector

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
odonata

Copperheads @ Solar Collector

Post by odonata »

Normally I wouldn't take the time to tell you that there are snakes in the Red River Gorge. This was the first time I had ever been here and from the number of snakes I encountered I assume most of the local climbers are well aware of their presence.

The only reason I mention these three particular copperheads is that they have set up their house in an empty tree stump right where we put all of our gear and backpacks. When we arrived early in the morning, they were nowhere to be seen. But as the sun warmed up the rocks they started crawling out of the stump and finding shady spots to hang out.

Because we had been there for a couple of hours with no signs of danger, one of our climbers almost sat down next to one of them. They didn't seem to mind our presence but stepping on one of them might have changed their attitude towards us.

So I thought it might be prudent to let other climbers and their dogs know exactly where these little guys were living.

kirker

Post by kirker »

Damn the one in the pic is big... Looks like he's about to shed.

I can't wait for winter. No snakes, No people, and great friction...
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

yeah that one is in shed..cool. Snakes can be a little bit more aggressive when they are in shed, they can not see as well and so feel more vulnerable thus act more aggressively. Mine are usually more jumpy if I hold them while they are in shed.

Please don't kill or moves these copperheads. Maybe someone can put some ribbon or caution tape around that area. Those snakes were there first, its there home. Just be careful. I have pictures I took of these same guys about 3 years ago, they are getting bigger.

Maybe Ray can mention in the new guide book the areas where copperheads seem to den up together. Like solar collector and Global Village.
Last edited by rhunt on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

What, Anisoptera and Zygoptera don't know about snakes?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

You will wish they had been moved or dealt with if you or yours get bit. That is a high traffic area. The amount of close contact humans will have with those snakes is significant. Keep that in mind.
I think moving them is a best case scenario.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Don McGlone

Post by Don McGlone »

Beautiful animals.
Shedding off one more layer of skin
Keeping one step ahead of the persecutor within
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

yes very nice animals - but not nice to be bitten. i wonder if the guy that runs the reptile museum might be interested in capturing them for what he does and then releasing them in a less trafficked area. keep in mind i know NOTHING about snakes other than to stay away :wink:
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
odonata

Post by odonata »

The top picture above was taken with a flash. The picture below it was taken when the sun went behind a cloud creating flat shadowless lighting. So the snakes are fairly easy to see.

When I walked back to this area from where my daughter was climbing down the trail, Jonathon told me "Hey there's a copperhead in that stump you're standing next to." So I looked down in it but couldn't see anything. With the sun glaring and me wearing sunglasses it took about 30 seconds for me to find the first one coiled up under the edge of the rock. Then I noticed he had "two heads", one poking out from either end of the rock. Then I saw the third one poking his head out of a hole in bottom of the stump.

In the picture below you can "see" the two under the edge of the rock when the sun is shining. Yes they are beautiful creatures if you can see them. Excellent camouflage. I always thought Arkansas had a lot of copperheads but I think you might have us beat.

Image[/b]
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

the lurkist wrote:You will wish they had been moved or dealt with if you or yours get bit. That is a high traffic area. The amount of close contact humans will have with those snakes is significant. Keep that in mind.
I think moving them is a best case scenario.
Agreed
maine

Post by maine »

Move them for everyone's sake. Someone who really doesnt' like snakes could hurt the snakes and /or the snakes could seriously wound or even kill someone. Esp. for those of us who take our children out climbing PLEASE MOVE THEM!!!
Last edited by maine on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.